Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

canon FD system
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: canon FD system Reply with quote

hello everyone.. long time no see.. again Sad
I hope all of you are ok, guys Smile

I coldn't find a similar topic in the archive (hope i didn't missed it Wink) ) but I would like to know from you some opinions regarding the Canon FD bodies. I'm considering the EF (i like its hybrid shutter, but less the fact that it uses obsolete batterie Sad ) or maybe A1 as first (more cheap) choice.
That Canon FD camera are you using and what are its pros and cons ? Smile
thank youuuuu Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had AE-1P and I thought it was very good. I don't think it will work without a battery though.
And the prices of FD lenses are rising because they can now be used on digital bodies...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AE-1 and a T90. The AE-1 is similar in handling to a Spotmatic, but the VF is better and it has M & Tv modes. The T90 is just brilliant and my favourite manual focus camera.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I always promote the T70 and cannot understand why anyone that uses FD lenses doesn't have one (at least to try) as they are so cheap to buy, and with the matching flash gun it's an excellent combo for general use.... in fact I have two.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/t70/index.htm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a cheap A1 I may be able to help... I picked up a box of FD stuff that I don't really want so was going to advertise soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the A1 & have 3 (gonna sell one soon though), so easy to use with FD lenses, the T90 is just brilliant if a little over specified. Also do not forget the FTb which is built like a brick & has the ever so useful easy film load system & has a very good metering system too.
Personally I didnt like the T70, Ae1 (and its derivities).
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With one exception, the all-mechanical FTb is perhaps the best of the bunch if only because it's all mechanical. A drawback is the Px625 mercury battery, but you can get more-or-less suitable alternatives plus a conversion kit to let it work with cheap silver oxides.

Big, bright viewfinder, narrow angle metering, handles well, feels reassuringly solid (which it truly is). And still fairly cheap to buy.

Even better is the original F1 - think of it as the camera Leica ought to have made to run alongside the M rangefinder. But it's getting real cult status which means paying quite a bit to get one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the F1 when I wanted a better fd camera. I opted for the T90 as the reviews suggested this was the better camera and add the price of the F1 it became an obvious choice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, there. The Canon EF is certainly a strong built camera, in a way different from the other older models in the FD lineup. Other than the already mentioned Copal shutter equipped with metal blades (as opposite to the cloth one of the other old siblings) the other attractive feature is the sync speed of 1/125". I read somewhere, don't take my word here, that this camera is provided with a voltage regulator circuitry, so using the available alternatives to the two PX625 mercury cells is not gonna pose any problem.
From direct experience I can say that the A-1 is a well built camera, strong in its way. The metering system and the shutter are reliable as long as the electronics are still good. The mirror gearing might get dry leading to the infamous "squeak" sound, though this is easily fixable. Concerning metering modes the A-1 offers shutter and aperture priority along with program (full auto) mode and full manual. The EF is shutter priority. The A-1 syncs at 1/60". The AT-1 is the simplest of the A-series, full manual, match and needle meter reading. I like it a lot. The T-90 is a totally different beast, first of all for weight and dimensions. Offers three different metering options: spot, center weighed average and partial area. The automations are aperture and shutter priority, program mode, variable-shift program AE (with seven programs). Winder and auto rewind are built in. The only missing feature is a coffee machine Very Happy. It runs on four AA cells. Metal curtains shutter, with top speed of 1/4000", sync at 1/250". It's heavy, yeah, but I find this is adding stability working at critical speeds (1/8-1/45). The mirror recoil is very well dampened.
All in all I like the three of them (A-1,AT-1, T-90) for what they can give me in different conditions.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much, to all. Well, after more search, there isn't to be a Canon but Minolta. A 570/500 is on the way to me with a Tokina 28mm f:2.8 lens. Another MC Rokkor 50mm f:1.7 already arrived las week, but thats another topic already Smile
Thank you all again.

PS. Yes, the two, EF & F1 seemd to be the more attractive struff from Canon Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a couple AE-1 bodies and a couple AE-1P bodies. I prefer the AE-1 because they lack the P's electronics which fail and are not repairable. I liken the AE-1 to a K1000 with some extra whistles, but I agree with Martin's Spotmatic comparison, too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, that system has very nice cams: T90, A1, F1n.

And excelent lenses: 1,8/85, 2/100, 1,4/50 ssc, 1,2/55 (FL or ssc), 19 mm lens.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: canon FD system Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
hello everyone.. long time no see.. again Sad
I hope all of you are ok, guys Smile

I coldn't find a similar topic in the archive (hope i didn't missed it Wink) ) but I would like to know from you some opinions regarding the Canon FD bodies. I'm considering the EF (i like its hybrid shutter, but less the fact that it uses obsolete batterie Sad ) or maybe A1 as first (more cheap) choice.
That Canon FD camera are you using and what are its pros and cons ? Smile
thank youuuuu Smile

The way to go I think is with an F-1 New type. The EF was not that good in comparison.