Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD -> Canon EOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Canon FD -> Canon EOS Reply with quote

Since there's alot of nice canon FD lenses, I'm considering to purchase some glases, like 50 85 f1.2. Yes, I prefer fast aperture lenses.

Anybody used any of FD->EOS adapters? Is the AF confirm, aperture control from camera and such things? This thing is quite expencive as I heard, prices can go up to 150-200$. Is it worth that much?

M.b. it would be better to get smth like Minolta Rokkor or Olympus Om f1.2 with an appropriate adapter ring, which cost much more less?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question comes up every 2 weeks. Please use for more information the search function.

In a short form, you need an adapter with glass to reach infinity but you will lose IQ - or you buy an adapter without glass with no infinity. With 50mm or 85mm you will have 2 - 5 meters or something else.

Best solution is converting from FD to Eos by a professional company. Make only sense for high quality FD lenses due to the conversion price. If you need more information, contact member trifox. He and his colleague will do this on a very high quality level.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many FD lenses can be physically converted to EOS mount, though it can be expensive to do so due to the time and machining involved.

Rolf is correct: this topic comes up quite often.

Your options are these:
1) Purchase an adapter without glass.
This allows use of the lens without loss of optical quality, but prohibits infinity focus.
2) Purchase a common adapter with glass.
This allows infinity focus, but normally results in noticeable loss of image quality.
3) Find and purchase a Canon-made adapter with glass.
As with any adapter with glass, the effective widest aperture of the lens will be reduced. Genuine Canon adapters are very rare, and due to their rarity, are very expensive. They are, however, widely accepted as being the highest-quality adapter available.

The genuine Canon adapters were apparently manufactured in small quantities, which explains their rarity. I've seen genuine adapters selling for well over 2000USD because they are so scarce and rarely are offered on the open worldwide market. The third-party offerings with glass are regularly considered to be almost junk, and often sell for around 50USD or less.

Personally, I would only consider a physical mount conversion if I were to land on an outstanding deal for FD glass, and most likely only on an L-series lens unless another FD-series lens were as highly regarded as an L. The IQ is certainly worth the conversion in many situations, and physical mount conversion is less expensive than a Canon FD-to-EOS adapter without loss of larger apertures. Considering that many FD-to-EOS physical conversions might cost USD $100 to $300, it's certainly more economical to do this instead of finding a genuine Canon FD-to-EOS adapter, unless you have a large collection of high-quality FD lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tnx.

Where can I find an adapter w/o glass? Ebay is full of them, but all with a glass.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
3) Find and purchase a Canon-made adapter with glass.
As with any adapter with glass, the effective widest aperture of the lens will be reduced. Genuine Canon adapters are very rare, and due to their rarity, are very expensive. They are, however, widely accepted as being the highest-quality adapter available.

These original adapters for Canon FD lenses to Canon EOS cameras are not only expensive, but limited for longer lenses too:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdeos.htm
One canuse these adapters only with Canon FD lenses 200 mm and longer, not with the FD 85/1.2L

I think I saw such adapters on Ebay about 800 Euro.

I think the best option is to convert the lens!
I did that with a 300/2.8 L
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Canon-FD300-2.8-EF-Umbau.html
and a FD 100/4.0 Macro
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Canon-FD100-4.0-Macro-EOS-EF-Umbau.html
Both conversions are a bit complex, and the 85/1.2 shall be even more complicated because of the last lens that is mounted to the bajonett, not to the lens tube of the rest of the lenses.

Because I want to convert such a FD 85/1.2 in the future (when I get one) I bougth a lathe Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
This question comes up every 2 weeks. Please use for more information the search function.

In a short form, you need an adapter with glass to reach infinity but you will lose IQ - or you buy an adapter without glass with no infinity. With 50mm or 85mm you will have 2 - 5 meters or something else.

Best solution is converting from FD to Eos by a professional company. Make only sense for high quality FD lenses due to the conversion price. If you need more information, contact member trifox. He and his colleague will do this on a very high quality level.

Wink

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, let the topic go up Smile))

I've purchased fd 50 1.4 on ebay for 40euros... god damn, that was a big fault Smile any1 wants it? minty condition Smile)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Old FD lens Reply with quote

I often read that people bought Canon FD lenses because they thought it is that same manufacturer, and so it will work - or be at least easy to adapt.
But it is not easy.

One way to use your FD 50/1.4 is to do a modification and use it as a simple tilt lens on an Crop DSLR camera:
http://4photos.de/camera-diy/tilt_and_shift.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Old FD lens Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
I often read that people bought Canon FD lenses because they thought it is that same manufacturer, and so it will work - or be at least easy to adapt.
But it is not easy.

One way to use your FD 50/1.4 is to do a modification and use it as a simple tilt lens on an Crop DSLR camera:
http://4photos.de/camera-diy/tilt_and_shift.html

Funny thing is that I knew about the conversion troubles, as I researched this issue before. Yet somehow I still made the bid, cause I thought that's a bargain price Smile And according to EU laws, item owner can't remove me from bidders list and just offer his stuff to the next in line...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tnx for the link, the only thing I need to get that spot thingy Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought CANON FD 1.2/85mm L. I'd like to convert it to EOS. I would appreciate links to similar attempts already done or links to companies doing it in EU. Thank you, Jure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I bought CANON FD 1.2/85mm L. I'd like to convert it to EOS. I would appreciate links to similar attempts already done or links to companies doing it in EU. Thank you, Jure.

As already said, contact member "trifox". I bet he can help you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

As already said, contact member "trifox". I bet he can help you.

Yes, Trifox has converted it before.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. I am contacting Trifox.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FD>EF adapters with glass aren't all that bad, here's a shot taken with a Canon 500mm f8 mirror lens, hand held:
Granted, its not the best shot to look at quality, but its the only one I have at the moment Razz

Also, on most if not all adapters with glass, you can unscrew the glass bit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirrith wrote:
The FD>EF adapters with glass aren't all that bad, here's a shot taken with a Canon 500mm f8 mirror lens, hand held:
Granted, its not the best shot to look at quality, but its the only one I have at the moment Razz

Well honestly your photo show exactly that: adapters with glass sucks Wink. I must say i made sharper photos with 15$ Japanese / Korean 8/500mm lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand held, at 800 iso, at night?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This way only the fact of your steady hand is presented but by no means it counts as proof of lens quality and even less teleconverter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats why I said its not a great photo for looking at quality Razz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass adapter will better work with longer focal length. So the result is not a surprise. But try it with a lens < 50mm you will get only soft images.

Wink