Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon F-1 (Old) and M42 lenses.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Canon F-1 (Old) and M42 lenses. Reply with quote

After using my favorite M42 lenses on my Canon A-1 with an adapter, I am thinking of trying them on my F-1 (Old). Is metering possible with these lenses on the F-1? The lens will not be providing the camera with any aperture info, so would needle matching metering be possible?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A-1 has aperture priority mode, so it should be, in theory. You'd need to use the manual diaphragm on the lens and then let the camera automatically determine the aperture. That said, when I did that with my RT (granted it's a much later camera), the results were off consistently by an amount that increased as the aperture closed. So you may need to run some tests to see if you have to compensate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering how can I have metering assistance from the camera when there is no pin to drive the aperture needle. Is there a chance of causing damage to the camera like that?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop down metering.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here comes the really stupid question!
How can I do stopped down metering in the F-1? How do one use the needle when stopped down?

Sorry for being that ignorant!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the F-1 old, metering like this will be hard. Firstly, you'll have to set the ISO to compensate for the different battery charge (unless you have your F-1 modified), but I assume you know that. Once the M42 lens is on, if it has a manual mode and can stop down, then you should be able to meter normally. On my RT I've done this and found it was accurate at the open apertures and then significantly underexposed images when stopped down. The apertures between 1.8 and 22 were on a sliding scale of meter accuracy. So there may be some compensation required for different apertures. Your best bet is to take a meter reading with, say, and FD 50mm 1.8 and record the settings for each aperture. Then do the same with, say, a Takumar 55mm 1.8 and see where they're different. That would give you a rough guide on how to compensate over the aperture range for a normal lens.

As long as the M42 lenses are away from the mirror, then I would imagine it will be okay. That said, I thought M42 had a shorter register distance than FD, so this would only be close close-up work, correct?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working with my M42 lenses on my F-1 (old) long now, since I had bought my adapter. They work flawlessly. I had to get used to stopped down metering, but now it has become a second nature and things are always spot on. The FD register is shorter than the M42 (42 vs 45.46mm) and any adapter works perfectly with infinity focus without any optical aids. No macro trouble here.