Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EX-EE QL lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Canon EX-EE QL lenses Reply with quote

A Happy New Year to everybody !

On a 5-bottles-of-beer-impulse Embarassed I've just unexpectedly won on ebay a Canon EX-EE QL and the complete set of 4 lenses for it.
I offered 75$ for the whole set without thinking that the seller will accept, but he did!
This is the set:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171203725149?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I don't think I'm ever going to use the camera. The 4 lenses could be interesting but I have no experience with them.
I know that the convertible lenses could be either very good or crappy. Have any of you direct experience with this lenses?
If they are good enough I could extract the lens-base off the camera and adapt it to my Nex. This way I'll have a full set of 4 EX lenses adapted in a not to bulky setup.
Is it worth to do it or is better to resell the whole set?

Last edited by dan_ on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ Hi, I also have the full set(EX not QL) includes all lenses,Hoods for each,original Flash,5filters 48mm,48mm-49mm step up,manual and all in brown leather case.Must have been very lightly used as in ex++ condition,I paid $60 US but have seen on Ebay as much as $300 just for camera and 4lenses nothing else.lenses can be used with bellows. Interesting to see what members think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I don't think these lenses are of any use on their own. As far as i can remember, the lenses only contain half of the optics needed. The rearmost lens group is fixed in the camera, so the detachable part can not produce a picture.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayup North wrote:
Hi there,
I don't think these lenses are of any use on their own. As far as i can remember, the lenses only contain half of the optics needed. The rearmost lens group is fixed in the camera, so the detachable part can not produce a picture.

Welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayup North wrote:
Hi there,

Correct, rear group is permanently affixed to the camera.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
...rear group is permanently affixed to the camera.

I know that but the rear group can be taken off the camera and adapted to a digital camera. This way you have all 4 lenses adapted with a single adapter (that includes the rear group).
My question is : are this lenses good enough to merit the effort.
According to this article:
http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00Spje
appears so, but in other articles I've found mixed opinions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to send the whole set to some rabid Canonista. Me! Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still nobody has any experience with this lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
...rear group is permanently affixed to the camera.

I know that but the rear group can be taken off the camera and adapted to a digital camera. This way you have all 4 lenses adapted with a single adapter (that includes the rear group).
My question is : are this lenses good enough to merit the effort.
According to this article:
http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00Spje
appears so, but in other articles I've found mixed opinions.

Yes, keep an eye out for a broken camera chap to make an adapter.

Not sure about the quality of the lenses, I would expect them to be good but perhaps a little less good than the contemporary Canon FL lenses due to having to make some compromises in the optical design to allow for the common rear group.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The auction I won already includes a camera. Its meter is not working and I don't intend to use it anyway, so I'll use it to make the adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, I'm interested to see your results. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ Please keep me informed,with pics if possible, of your progress and results re.conversion.Regards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
dan_ Please keep me informed,with pics if possible, of your progress and results re.conversion.Regards

kryss, I've taken off the rear group from the camera. That was simple - just 3 screws are keeping the front Al. masks. Once this masks are off 4 screws are keeping the rear group in place.
After the rear group was taken off I've taped it in front of a focusing helicoid NEX adapter to finally see if the lenses are worth adapting to NEX.
With this set-up only close-up with the diaphragm blocked wide opened was possible. The 4 lenses proved to be nice enough in my opinion - especially 35mm and 50mm.
See the first samples (with some basic PS adjustments):
35 mm.

50 mm.

95 mm

120 mm

The bad news is that the diaphragm included in the back group is controlled from inside the camera. For a proper use of diaphragm the back lens group has to be extracted from the lens-diaphragm-helicoid ensemble and remounted at the back of a new diaphragm.
And that is not easy as lens barrel and the diaphragm housing are a single block of Al.
I've cut it off the Al. block, I have a proper diaphragm and now I am in the stage of making the adapter. Some lathe parts have to be made. When I'll finish it I'll come back with more details.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're really brave Dan, I praise your willingness to cut through all those obstakles!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus!
If I knew from the beginning that it's so difficult I would probably renounced. Unfortunately Crying or Very sad I realized that only when the dismantling process was in a point of no-return : either I continue or I had to throw everything to garbage as useless.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!
I thought about such an adapter a while ago, but with my EOS DSLR I saw it as probably not working. So I did not buy such a camera and lenses. Great to see this idea realized!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.