Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EF-M Metering with non-EF Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Canon EF-M Metering with non-EF Lenses Reply with quote

Ok, I'm confused by this camera. I assumed the metering would work the same as on my EOS DSLRs.

Instead, with a Pentacon 135mm attached using either a chipped or non-chipped adapter, adjusting the aperture control on the camera affects the shutter speed. Therefore I cannot use the cameras meter. Unless I set the cameras aperture to the same aperture as I intend shooting with the lens, but this will slow things down considerably.

Any EF-M owners have knowledge?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to switch the camera to step-down metering. This is done by setting the aperture to 1.0 and leaving it there.
Now you can set the aperture at the lens and the shutter speed at the EF-M and it will show you if it thinks the settings are ok metering-wise.

Of course you have to make sure the aperture on the lens it set to "manual", too Smile ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, so I can only shoot in manual an not aperture priority?

Why F1?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because f1 enables step-down metering if no automatic lens is attached ... see it simply as a switch ...

Give it a try what happens when you set f1 and shutter on "A" and turn the aperture ring Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the official way of doing it or just the way others have found it works?

It's quite a handy camera isn't it. Shame the flash sync is only 1/90 though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the official way ... "non-electric" lens + f1 enables step-down metering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Is this the official way of doing it or just the way others have found it works?

Now that you have had this camera for a while, what do you think of it? I have seen one at a good price and was thinking of buying it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Now that you have had this camera for a while, what do you think of it? I have seen one at a good price and was thinking of buying it.

I love it!

Most of my M42 lenses work well with it except my 24mm Tak which causes the mirror to hang up until I unscrew the lens. My EF lenses are great to use with it. I even managed to find the dedicated flash for it.

I've just processed the 1st film so I'll post samples as soon as I get around to scanning.

They crop up quite often on the auction site for 10-20gbp.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

I love it!

Most of my M42 lenses work well with it except my 24mm Tak which causes the mirror to hang up until I unscrew the lens. My EF lenses are great to use with it. I even managed to find the dedicated flash for it.

I've just processed the 1st film so I'll post samples as soon as I get around to scanning.

Thanks Martin. I've just picked one up on ebay for £22.50 in near mint condition. I hope the screen is as bright and as easy to focus as I've heard as my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a reasonable price. Yes, the viewfinder is big and bright and the focus aids are very good.

Do you have any EF lenses?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
That's a reasonable price.

Reasonable? That's an absolute bargain!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some seem to go for silly money. I bought one for 7gbp and another for 15gbp.

Cosmetically they were both good. The 1st one had a fault so it was returned.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
That's a reasonable price. Yes, the viewfinder is big and bright and the focus aids are very good.

Do you have any EF lenses?

Yes, I do. I have a 50mm, 17-40mm, 24-105mm & a 70-200mm.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found myself using my EF lenses in favour of M42, simply because I can control them in-camera. I'd be interested to hear what lenses you prefer to use with it.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sympathies regarding mirror hang with 24mm Tak on film/FF EOS cameras. Tragic imho, such a great lens, no question results would be phenomenal.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average price on German EBay for this cam in good condition is somewhat about €60-70,-!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
My sympathies regarding mirror hang with 24mm Tak on film/FF EOS cameras. Tragic imho, such a great lens, no question results would be phenomenal.

It still takes the pic, but the mirror stays up until the lens is unscrewed.

Carsten - That's still not a bad price for a good camera. It seems reasonable build. I'd still sooner have a Spotmatic for M42 lenses though and they're slightly cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

I love it!

Martin
I tracked down a Canon GR-70 grip extension for the EF-M. It makes a huge difference to the handling of the camera especially if you have large hands.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Carsten - That's still not a bad price for a good camera. It seems reasonable build.

That's right.