Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon E-TTL Flash and manual focus lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Canon E-TTL Flash and manual focus lenses? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could help me out before I go and buy my first flash. Does anyone know if E-TTL flash metering will work with and chipped adapter set to f2?

I have spent the last 40 minutes searching but cannot find any definite answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Conor

Last edited by conor12 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-TTL should work work a chipped adaptor but i think it is not as accurate as the AF lens. You should set the flash range(24-105mm) which suits the focal length of your MF lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was fast...!

The adapter being stuck at f2 will not be a problem then? The pop up flash on my 450d gives me completely different exposures as i change the aperture on my lens. It is in effect completely useless. I am hoping that a dedicated flash will somehow improve my results.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just performed a test the 430ex in 350D.

My chipped adaptor enable me to adjust the aperture. However, when the external flash is attached, i need to disable the modeling flash since the depth of view button is used to adjust the aperture. If your adaptor does not allow you to change the aperture, you can set the exposure compensation manually for more accurate exposure.

High speed sync seems works well in my test.

The AF assitant beam is not working. I am not sure if other chips can make it work.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Canon 580exii and have no problems with ETTL flash when using either a chipped or unchipped adapter. If you understand how ETTL works then you would realise there would be no issue. Basically it fires a small flash before capturing the picture and from this it makes a calculation about how much power to give to the flash.