Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon A-1 review 1979
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Canon A-1 review 1979 Reply with quote

Canon A-1 review measurements meter sensitivity strip down shutter exposure 1979 Popular Photography

Click on pic to get a bigger size

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A1 was an awesome camera in it's day. I'd love a working one!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one but it confused me, I got rid of it and got an AE1p instead. I still have it. The A1 was a superb camera, but I just couldn't get on with it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I had one but it confused me, I got rid of it and got an AE1p instead. I still have it. The A1 was a superb camera, but I just couldn't get on with it.

Huh! But in Shutter priority mode or manual it's just like a AE1p, you needn't have bothered using anything else Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review but was disappointed with the just "good" mentioned. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good camera, the finish though OK for the 80', is nothing like the cameras of 60' and early 70', the top plate is painted plastic... It was made to a price point, so "good" is probably fair. It's a great shooter though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had one, too - it was the most modern camera i could affort and i liked it very much
thanks for sharing the test

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Huh! But in Shutter priority mode or manual it's just like a AE1p, you needn't have bothered using anything else Laughing

The problem was the display, it was in 1/3 stops and I'm dyscalculic - basically dyslexic with numbers - and struggled with it. Quite possibly the display could be changed somewhere in the settings but I couldn't find it.
So it was just easier to change cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether this camera is extra clever or what, but I'll be giving mine a workout and using a flashgun meant for a Canon T70...well on fitting on the A1 it sets the flash syn (1/60 sec-got that right) and tells me to use either f5.6 for dark areas or f8 for bright...which I would set for my old Nissin flashgun if I was using it. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
I don't know whether this camera is extra clever or what, but I'll be giving mine a workout and using a flashgun meant for a Canon T70...well on fitting on the A1 it sets the flash syn (1/60 sec-got that right) and tells me to use either f5.6 for dark areas or f8 for bright...which I would set for my old Nissin flashgun if I was using it. Cool

I would be interested to know if the A1 does display in 1/3 f stops, and if it does can it be changed to standard f stops ? I might be wrong about why I got rid of it. But that reason does stick in my mind.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

I would be interested to know if the A1 does display in 1/3 f stops, and if it does can it be changed to standard f stops ? I might be wrong about why I got rid of it. But that reason does stick in my mind.

For an easy life I still don't understand why you changed as you set the AE1 with the lens on "A" and at your chosen shutter speed the camera chooses the aperture...........the A1 does the same (when set for shutter priority) ? A quick check on mine when panning around the room it seems to be half stops, which is good enough for slide film if using manual. Dunno if it does 1/3 stops on auto.
The last time I used a AE1 was taking a few shots with my Father's one (about 17 years ago) before he dropped it in sea water Sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the A1 new in 1979 andI think I used it for about a year, I remember taking it to Canada and using Kodachrome and getting a lot of good shots from it, but the chances are I was using it in full auto. My dyslexia - dyscalculia - is part of a bigger learning difficulty, as they call it today; back in school I was just stupid according to the teachers, so I have great difficulty reading instructions and retaining that new information long enough to actually apply it. And the A1 was just far too complicated for me at that time, when I turned the scroll wheel and saw the unknown numbers - in 1/2 or 1/3 stops - I had to search for the familiar f stop numbers that meant a little bit to me. To this day I could not recite the list of f stops or shutter speeds commonly found on a camera, I have my own 'vision' of what they mean that isn't based on numbers. And I still can't read instructions and retain the facts, I've got a fancy mobile phone that I have no idea how to use. Somehow I spent nearly 40 years as an engineer! Laughing
But I would like an A1 again, it is a classic camera of its time. I've just looked in my old copy of "Lens Works" and all the serial numbers of the camera and lenses I bought are written in the front cover, it's scary, these are 1970 - 1980 prices!
Canon A1 £264, 28 / 2 £320, 50 / 1.2 £98, 80-200 / 4 £449, 500 Reflex £450, 199A Speedlite £75, Motordrive £220. According to that old list, with the accessories, I had it insured for £2,300, more that I earned in a year. I was young and foolish...... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bought my A1 with 50mmm f1.4 lens for £30 at a boot sale last year, but with new experience I would advise newbies (if they want a camera in the Canon A range) to get the A1.....but the Canon T range is superior, well if you don't care about how a camera looks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember as a teenager saving up for my first SLR and A1 was sooooo tempting with all those modes. Knowing very little about photography I was swayed by the 'more is better' marketing. In the end I couldn't afford an A1 so bought a Pentax ME Super instead. I've been a Pentax man (mainly) ever since although recently the various former eastern bloc cameras seem to have been quietly multiplying while I wasn't looking and my friend's old Minolta 7000 has been getting a bit of a workout. I do have a couple of Canon EOS film cameras but they are such big ugly bricks I only use them on site as i don't mind if they get covered in muck.

K.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
I remember as a teenager saving up for my first SLR and A1 was sooooo tempting with all those modes. Knowing very little about photography I was swayed by the 'more is better' marketing. In the end I couldn't afford an A1 so bought a Pentax ME Super instead. I've been a Pentax man (mainly) ever since although recently the various former eastern bloc cameras seem to have been quietly multiplying while I wasn't looking and my friend's old Minolta 7000 has been getting a bit of a workout. I do have a couple of Canon EOS film cameras but they are such big ugly bricks I only use them on site as i don't mind if they get covered in muck.

K.

That's how I came to buy an A1. Rolling Eyes
And I think I've got one coming very shortly, with lenses, motordrive, speedlight, accessories......and.....a Voightlander Vito and a complete darkroom. The lady's partner has got a Zenit and lenses, a Praktica and lenses, and a complete darkroom.
This will probably cost more than the 'mad money' I keep hidden from my wife! Laughing