Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 5d + om to eos adapter + zuiko om lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Canon 5d + om to eos adapter + zuiko om lens Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post in this forum (I'm a newbie manual focus lens user) and I need your help. First of all excuse me for my English. Recently I've bought some manual focus lenses and adapters from ebay. The first lens I bought is a Pentacon 135/2,8 preset in M42 mount and a chipped focus confirmation M42 to eos adpater (bought from ebay store Big_Is). I have no problem to use this lens and I'm quite satisfied with it. The second lens I bought is a Olympus Zuiko Om 50 f/3.5 macro (I also bought a chipped af confirm om to eos adapter from Big_is). The first time I mount the lens on the adapter I didn't make attention and I think there is something wrong because the red dot on the lens is not aligned with the 5d. Besides I realized that even if I rotate the aperture ring the lens remain at the widest aperture (f/3,5) so i dismount the lens. The lens has two lever on the rear: one is the aperture ring control, the other if closed make the lens obey the first lever, if open let the lens remain at the widest aperture all the time. So i press the second lever and inserted the lens in the adapter. I remount the lens on the camera and try to take a photo but..... clank... clank.... error 99... I think the mirror hits the lens so i dismount the lens and observed it from the back. There is a metal flange near the back of the lens (see the picture). Is it possible that this flange hits the mirror of the 5d? Why I've never find in internet this problem? Could you help me? If it's the flange, could i remove it without broken it? Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Canon 5d + om to eos adapter + zuiko om lens Reply with quote

grunter wrote:
Hi, this is my first post in this forum (I'm a newbie manual focus lens user) and I need your help. First of all excuse me for my English. Recently I've bought some manual focus lenses and adapters from ebay. The first lens I bought is a Pentacon 135/2,8 preset in M42 mount and a chipped focus confirmation M42 to eos adpater (bought from ebay store Big_Is). I have no problem to use this lens and I'm quite satisfied with it. The second lens I bought is a Olympus Zuiko Om 50 f/3.5 macro (I also bought a chipped af confirm om to eos adapter from Big_is). The first time I mount the lens on the adapter I didn't make attention and I think there is something wrong because the red dot on the lens is not aligned with the 5d. Besides I realized that even if I rotate the aperture ring the lens remain at the widest aperture (f/3,5) so i dismount the lens. The lens has two lever on the rear: one is the aperture ring control, the other if closed make the lens obey the first lever, if open let the lens remain at the widest aperture all the time. So i press the second lever and inserted the lens in the adapter. I remount the lens on the camera and try to take a photo but..... clank... clank.... error 99... I think the mirror hits the lens so i dismount the lens and observed it from the back. There is a metal flange near the back of the lens (see the picture). Is it possible that this flange hits the mirror of the 5d? Why I've never find in internet this problem? Could you help me? If it's the flange, could i remove it without broken it? Thanks in advance

welcome grunter
have a nice stay with us

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Nice to see you here , have a nice stay with us!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Grunter,

You have a humorous handle: in English, a 'grunter' is a person who grunts. Smile Looking at an online English-Italian dictionary, grunt = grugnire. Whereas, in English, a 'grunt' is a person who is a ground soldier in the military, as in US Army Infantry or Marines, for example. Go figure.

Okay, so anyway . . .

About your Zuiko lens, while I suspect Olympus had a good reason for designing that "flange" into the lensmount, I personally don't understand why it's there, except perhaps to protect the rear element from damage.

If it were my lens and my 5D, I'd get out my Dremel tool and grind down the flange. (Remove/dismantle the lens mount first, of course.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Welcome Grunter,

You have a humorous handle: in English, a 'grunter' is a person who grunts. Smile Looking at an online English-Italian dictionary, grunt = grugnire. Whereas, in English, a 'grunt' is a person who is a ground soldier in the military, as in US Army Infantry or Marines, for example. Go figure.

Okay, so anyway . . .

About your Zuiko lens, while I suspect Olympus had a good reason for designing that "flange" into the lensmount, I personally don't understand why it's there, except perhaps to protect the rear element from damage.

If it were my lens and my 5D, I'd get out my Dremel tool and grind down the flange. (Remove/dismantle the lens mount first, of course.)

Hi cooltouch.... I'm an amateur actor... grunter is a character I've performed some years ago in a parody of Hamlet ... I thought it sounds good so....
Coming to my zuiko macro I have made a great mistake.... I've removed the back part on which the flange is attached (thinking that it's there only for cosmetic reason). In fact it's holding the diaphragm mechanism so some parts come out of the lens...... To make a long story short this morning I've taken the lens to a repairman in order to reassemble it. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grunter wrote:

Hi cooltouch.... I'm an amateur actor... grunter is a character I've performed some years ago in a parody of Hamlet ... I thought it sounds good so....

Ahh . . . it's always kind of fun to find out the story behind ones screen name. Heh. Wish I had a good one for mine, it was a handle that just popped into my head one day about 10 years ago, and I've been using it ever since. Interesting, none-the-less. So are you active in community productions, that sort of thing? So you've never done any professional work?

Quote:

Coming to my zuiko macro I have made a great mistake.... I've removed the back part on which the flange is attached (thinking that it's there only for cosmetic reason). In fact it's holding the diaphragm mechanism so some parts come out of the lens...... To make a long story short this morning I've taken the lens to a repairman in order to reassemble it. Smile

Uh-oh. Well, yes, that's generally what happens with quite a few lenses when you take the back mounting flange off. But I've found that as long as I'm somewhat organized in my disassembly, I can get a lens back together again. Hopefully the repair guy won't charge too much. Will you be having him grind down that protrusion as well?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your welcome.

cooltouch wrote:
... So are you active in community productions, that sort of thing? So you've never done any professional work?

Our acting company is active from 1970, there were only two director from that date and they conducted in a very professional way. Members are always amateur but the company itself is paid when there is a performance so we can produce our plays. I'm the webmaster of the company http://www.gadpistoia.it even if actually I've left aside the maintenance (ie I have to rebuild the photographs section, I'm obviously the photographer). Excuse me for my English, what do you mean with community productions?

cooltouch wrote:
Hopefully the repair guy won't charge too much. Will you be having him grind down that protrusion as well?

The reassemble of the lens and the cut and paint of the protrusion will cost me about 30€ (I've paid the lens 50€ but I think it worth repairing)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grunter wrote:
Thanks to everyone for your welcome.

cooltouch wrote:
... So are you active in community productions, that sort of thing? So you've never done any professional work?

Our acting company is active from 1970, there were only two director from that date and they conducted in a very professional way. Members are always amateur but the company itself is paid when there is a performance so we can produce our plays. I'm the webmaster of the company http://www.gadpistoia.it even if actually I've left aside the maintenance (ie I have to rebuild the photographs section, I'm obviously the photographer). Excuse me for my English, what do you mean with community productions?

cooltouch wrote:
Hopefully the repair guy won't charge too much. Will you be having him grind down that protrusion as well?

The reassemble of the lens and the cut and paint of the protrusion will cost me about 30€ (I've paid the lens 50€ but I think it worth repairing)

Yes, I agree considering its the 50/3.5 macro. That's a very nice lens.

A "community production" usually put on by a community theater group, is much like what you've described -- a play put on by a group of amateur actors who offer plays for the community in which they live. Some community productions can be quite excellent, rivaling or even surpassing the quality of professional ones. And by the way, your English is very good. No worries.

Here is a rather nice example of a community theater's website. Much like your own, but with more images:

http://playinconline.org/blog/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's interesting, I also have the Zuiko 50/3.5 Macro, but used it on a 5DmkII. No errors and no hitting the mirror, yet the protrusion *is* there. Thinking about it, the 24mm f/2.8 Zuiko also has a protrusion (shaped differently but still quite a long one). Is it the difference between adapters, camera bodies/mirrors, or lenses? Maybe a bit of everything...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 24mm Zuiko works ok with adapter on my 5DII. No problems.
Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A "community production" usually put on by a community theater group, is much like what you've described -- a play put on by a group of amateur actors who offer plays for the community in which they live. Some community productions can be quite excellent, rivaling or even surpassing the quality of professional ones. And by the way, your English is very good. No worries.

... I think that our productions are not really "community productions" because they usually took place not in our town but elsewhere and people who want to see it had to pay a ticket. You can see some shot I've taken to my group here http://fsphoto.net63.net/teatro/02gadoperatresoldi/ and here http://fsphoto.net63.net/teatro/040gadsensale/[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note that Grunter is referring to a 5D and you guys are referring to 5D IIs. Seems like I've read somewhere before that mirror interference issues are more common with the 5D than the 5D II?