Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 500D and manual lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Canon 500D and manual lenses Reply with quote

Hello all.

I'm sure this has probably been asked a billion times...but there doesnt seem to be enough time in the day for me to browse forums totally...i like to work through slowly to take in the info so i apologise for the common questions Smile

I have recently purchased a Canon 500D body only. This is fine as I was looking for a much older camera in my price range and this showed up as a bargain and I couldn't refuse....anyway..all I have are the 2 lenses I had with my EOS 500 35mm ... one is the kit lense 28-80 and the other is a 110-200 that was part of a kit my dad got with his old EOS 1000 along with a 35-80.....Now to begin with I am happy to use my lenses to get used to an SLR again ( I bought my last one 19 years ago ) as my other camera is an AE1-Program so they don't really equate...but this makes it very easy for me to convert to a fully manual lense as I have experience with my old FD lenses....I'll be posting a topic in another section about them....

I have been reading alot about all the different lenses and mounts..and am well aware of the 1.6x crop factor of the smaller sensor on my camera when buying an EF lense or an older manual.

However it's all a blur as there are so many lenses and prices and qualities! I however know what sort of selection I want..I Can't for a long while yet afford expensive L series lenses or even expensive "Standard" EF Mount lenses so need to think out of the box... It would be nice to have a 200 to 400mm lense with AF for doing sports photography ( motorbike racing and airshows ) but i reckon i'll be saving a long time for that...i like the 500d especially as it has a good frame rate for sports... I'd also like a 400mm or 500mm or at a push a 300mm prime for doing the same... even 100 to 300 mm would be useful for this but i digress....

Forgetting the sports stuff the large majority of my photography is not needing those fast AF lenses hence my interest in manual..at this point i must apologise for waffling it's a bad habit...

I'd like a nice 28 - 80 zoom or 20 - 75 or something similair as a do all lense for fell walking etc... ( saves on a big bag and weight ) but this isnt uber important... i've seen that the SMC Takumar range , tamron adaptall-2 sp and some of the kiron lenses rate very highly...but i am new to looking into this and want to get the best bang for my buck... ( live in england btw ) ... for now am looking for the best IQ i can get for the smallest money...I'll aim to buy more expensive lenses once i am getting used to it all and am earning enough money to put aside for lenses..as they say..glass is for life..camera bodies especially digital can be changed readily.

ok prime lense wise... I think a 28mm prime would make a great Normal lense...and maybe a 50mm for portraits...

Due to the 1.6 factor i'd like to try and get a super wide angle lense to get nearish to the 28mm wide angles i've been used too...this will be nice for certain landscapes and tight interior spaces...

I'd like a macro lens..around the 100 ish mm...i've heard good stuff about all the types of lenses i've already mentioned but again am willing to think "out of the box" for now until money is better...

and a 300mm telephoto would be great....

also what are your opinions of these big 500mm and more mirror lenses such as the samyang...

I look forward with great interest to any of your responses...am really excited Smile

Buzz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Buzz
it is difficult to give general advices, each one have his own preferences
browse the forum, buy some lens, try them and sell them back if you don't like them

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that i will do matey..though i find the differing opinions interesting...if you read through enough you definately see a pattern for the real gems Smile

i bought a tamron 28-80 for my ae1 p but it was awful though i think my lense may have been faulty as much as anything..but it cost not a lot so was worth the risk Smile

Buzz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beurling wrote:
if you read through enough you definitely see a pattern for the real gems Smile

most of the real gems have already been discovered and they are not cheap anymore
now the game is for the mirorless bodies with lenses like canon fd, minolta or hexanon but they are not easily adaptable on your 500D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is...if its worth having the lenses mounts converted then its worth looking into..but i'm not sure whether it is or not...i've read that these things are a little too complicated to bother with..i'll watch with interest what people come up with..other than that its save save save

Buzz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't start converting lenses to a Canon EOS, when there are already plenty of good, if not excellent, quality lenses that will work with a simple mechanical adapter.

Where to start? How about a Soligor 300/5.5? A lovely old lens for about £20.00. The manual focus Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses are better than the cheap AF lenses by the looks of things. The Tamron SP 28-80mm is a cracker and can be had for £30.00.

As for macro, again look at the Tamron Adaptall-2 and SP lenses. Most have a very decent close focus macro mode, and are cheap Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am very interested in a lot of the tamron lenses..they get excellent write ups..and i think i dont need world class pro lenses as am only an amateur...

i have no interest in buying af lenses unless they are ef mount..there simply is no point in my mind..whereas manual lenses for certain circumstances i would rather have for the quality to money value comparison.

I'll be collecting fd lenses aswell for my ae1-p film camera so i should get quite a collection Smile

I know absolutely nothing about Soligor but i have heard a few people reccomend their lenses now....

Most urgently i need a super wide angle lense and would like to save up for an ef mount super wide to normal zoom lense too...so many options and choices it boggles your mind sometimes...going to look at soligor Smile

Buzz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't necessarily bother buying an ultra wide MF lens for a crop camera, as a modern EF-S lens is likely to do a better job.

As far as EF ultra-wide to normal lenses go, I have the second generation Tokina 20-35mm AF which is really good. Martin Smith here has the Vivitar/Cosina 19-35mm which is also giving him good results. These can be picked up cheaply if you look hard enough Smile