Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can you identify this lens design from 30's?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject: Can you identify this lens design from 30's? Reply with quote

Hello,

I came across a soviet prototype from 30's with an interesting lens design.

It's a 270mm/4.5 lens that cover a rather large format (6x6 and more). I disassembled it (elements are just screwed, you only need fingers), optical design looks quite simple. I'm rather sure the frontal and last glass is not a doublet, but I can make mistake. All the elements are well spaced. The schema is not super accurate, I made it myself, but these are the right type of glass (plano-convex, positiv meniscus, etc...). The size is also relatively on scale.

At first I thought about Ernostar, but shape of the elements do not really match.

Any idea of western lens that had this optical schema in 30's or earlier?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm by no means an optical expert, the lens to me looks like a very simple telephoto construction. The front pair must be positive, and probably is a simple color corrected doublet, the middle element seems to be planparallel, and the rear is negative for sure. Alas - a typical, very simple tele lens ... But others may know more.

I'm a bit puzzled by the strong concave-convex curvature of the rear lens, though. Unusual for simple tele lenses ... but maybe acting as some sort of field flattener if the image angle was/is rather large for a tele lens?? I mean it could be a "normal lens" using "tele cosntruction" ...

S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
While I'm by no means an optical expert, the lens to me looks like a very simple telephoto construction. The front pair must be positive, and probably is a simple color corrected doublet, the middle element seems to be planparallel, and the rear is negative for sure. Alas - a typical, very simple tele lens ... But others may know more.

I'm a bit puzzled by the strong concave-convex curvature of the rear lens, though. Unusual for simple tele lenses ... but maybe acting as some sort of field flattener if the image angle was/is rather large for a tele lens?? I mean it could be a "normal lens" using "tele cosntruction" ...

S

Thank you for your answer!

Here are the optics, and the rear lens itself.