Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can someone recommend a petzval like lens for APS-C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Can someone recommend a petzval like lens for APS-C Reply with quote

I was quite impressed with a c-mount Cooke Kinic 25mm f1.5 adapted to micro-four-thirds.

Is there a lens that can produce similar swirly bokeh, is sharp, and adaptable for complete coverage of APS-C sensors -- the camera I intend using is a Pentax K-01. The focal length is not important to me (as long as it is less than say 100mm).

My understanding is that these unique characteristics are common to Petzval lenses but I have no idea what to look for. So any thoughts would be great.

Mod: If this post belongs on the cine-lens forum, please move. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biotar 75mm is well known from swirly bokeh and cover full frame.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Biotar 75mm is well known from swirly bokeh and cover full frame.

Thanks, great to know. The optical output from the biotar 75mm f1.5 looks exactly like what I want but $2k+ prices are not. At least now I know that I should bother to pick it up if I find one on the roadside Smile

So any more lenses you can suggest? I don't want to drop more than $300ish.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any triplet should produce swirly bokeh.

This is a Wollensak 85mm f/3.5 in a Ciroflex TLR -

Not as intense as a 75mm Biotar, but its there.

The 58mm Helios should also do it.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

The ladies you guys shoot always come out nice.

This is another gem of a portrait in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Thanks. Will keep an eye out for them.

I checked on ebay and there are a bunch of different tlr ciroflex cameras (dejur, rapax etc) with wollensak anastigmat 85mm f3.5 lenses. Is this the right lens? Are these adaptable with na off the shelf adapter for Pentax?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..i have good experiences with a cheap fujian 35 f1.7 tv lens i bought..

..this one for example: article number 150790790443 on da bay..

..its the same one slr magic sold *a bit* more expensive as their toy lens..

..and dont get me wrong..in fact it is no more than a toy lens and it cannot compete with any "real" lens and also i doubt that from the optical formula its a petzval lens, BUT the pictures i get do often swirl quite fine, in most situations there is something you could call bokeh and its also quite sharp (sharp enough for me) in the center..it fully covers aps-c with some rather mild vignetting until up to f8..but it wont produce black corners..just some vignetting same as the petzvals do..Smile....and depending on the kind of shot you take it often has some really fine athmosphere (and works quite good in black and white)..

..on the other hand you have to be careful as sometimes its able to produce a "ring of focus", but as they sell for usually about 25 euros with the c-mount adapter included (mine even had some close focus rings included) i think its very worth the try..

..but of course if theres some more suggestion of lenses for aps-c that you really could call "lenses" the info would be highly appreciated by me also..

..erik..

..edit: i overlooked that you want to use it on a pentax, so the listing i sent is wrong..its with an adapter for the nex..but i assume there are c-mount to pentax adapters..

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can order a Petzval lens for your mount from Russia. I know that one master makes these lenses. Some people buy from him and happy. I did not yet.
Here is link to his thread at club.foto.ru, biggest well known Internet photo forum in Russia (machine translated).

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its usually hard to adapt a barrel lens or a lens in shutter <90mm, with infinity, on a DSLR as the usual focusing tubes and bellows add a lot of spacing. Best for DSLR is 105mm.

If you have a Nex, there should be little problem. Just need to find a zero-depth adapter for your focusing tube or bellows. Maybe an M39. 75mm-90mm should be mountable.

There are plenty of 105mm triplets in shutter from old folders. Schneider Radionar, Meyer Trioplan, Steinheil Cassar, etc. Kodak Anastigmats on 620 roll film cameras were almost all triplets.