Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

BW400CN scanning surprise
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: BW400CN scanning surprise Reply with quote

This afternoon I had my first roll of Kodak BW400CN developed. I was surprised at the results! It seems the default Vuescan scanner settings are not great for scanning this film. Btw, the negatives were exposed at ISO 200.

How are your experiences with BW400CN?

Some pictures from my first roll:

Last edited by eeyore_nl on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll re-scan them tomorrow, because I think there's improvement to be made there as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get excellent results at walgreens. good old drug store processing on fuji equipment ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick and dirty test with different scanner settings ... more tomorrow Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks better ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
that looks better ...

Yes, this looks better to me as well.

City renewal in Utrecht

"De Ziekenfondsbode", Amersfoort

Last edited by eeyore_nl on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:20 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that film.
It's the only b&w film I use nowadays.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: BW400CN scanning surprise Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
It seems the default Vuescan scanner settings are not great for scanning this film.

When I was using Nikon's scanner software for my Coolscan 4000 ED I got far better scan results than I do today, with Vuescan. Nikon doesn't support Snow Leopard hence I am using Vuescan, and I have also noticed that the software does not do a very good jobb with BW film. I have tried the profile scanner settings plus tweaked around with personal settings, but I still can't reproduce slides or negs as they appeared before.

I shoot almost exclusively Ilford BW film, but I experience the same lowered contrast, little murky and grey results.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what should be black isn't quite black. under expose a few frames half a stop next time you shoot sunshiny things. maybe that will add a little contrast by fooling the scanner ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think it's not too bad, given that it was a heavily overcast sky yesterday.

I'm curious to how this film works in more contrast-rich situations.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get good results with it; i very much like this film, even though i have to because i love bw and do not process, and it is the only one available in local stores. this shot was on a gray day, inside a cafe:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was shot against the morning sun

another "depressing Utrecht" shot

and another one, and the last one for today Smile

I hope to use this film in sunny weather soon!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found this film very nice, grainless. i like it, and never seen the grain like this Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great results. Where's the grain? That's about the best you can get in 35mm.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Wow, great results. Where's the grain? That's about the best you can get in 35mm.

Young Martin, look up, look at the sky, yes there's grain there, but
certainly in forgivable amount. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today I bought a box with 20 recently expired Ilford XP2 films. It's always been stored in the fridge, so it should still be good Smile

EUR 3,- per 36exp film isn't bad, I think. I can buy 20 extra, but that needs to be discussed with the wife Shocked Laughing

Btw, I looked at quite a few pictures on Flickr and Ipernity, and they all have similar grain in the shadow areas. I think it's the nature of the film.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid something around 3,40€ for one unexpired XP2 =) when I took ten of them.
I found a good shop.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
I found a good shop.

That's pretty good! I just bougth 20 rolls for 3 euro each (recently expired), and 10 rolls BW400CN for 2 euro each (expired in 2008).

Should give me some fun Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
spleenone wrote:
I found a good shop.

That's pretty good! I just bougth 20 rolls for 3 euro each (recently expired), and 10 rolls BW400CN for 2 euro each (expired in 2008).

Should give me some fun Smile

I think that you can't go wrong with these films. I can't get many of expired stock in my lab because of watching vultures. They buy out every cheap roll. Very Happy