Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

BSA Spitfire Scrambler
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: BSA Spitfire Scrambler Reply with quote

From...http://barbermuseum.org/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beauty and as it says very rare. Do you now if they have the later but A65 derived Firebird street scrambler? Very Similar and again built solely for the us market about 1972?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely pic Big Dawg, of course to make it a US exclusive they changed the tank, bars, seat and pipes, not quite the same as the differences between modern dirt and road bikes considering the motor, frame and wheel rims were identical to road going same displacement models.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
That is a beauty and as it says very rare. Do you now if they have the later but A65 derived Firebird street scrambler? Very Similar and again built solely for the us market about 1972?

I don't remember seeing one of those there. I'll take a look through the photos and see. You have to remember also that only half their collection is on view at any one time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
A lovely pic Big Dawg, of course to make it a US exclusive they changed the tank, bars, seat and pipes, not quite the same as the differences between modern dirt and road bikes considering the motor, frame and wheel rims were identical to road going same displacement models.

And they were a lot heavier too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the old Beezers. Apparently Kawasaki did too because they copied it twice, once back in the 60s, and again with the reissue of the W650 several years ago.

I was a bit surprised when I read the BHP number. That was a highly tuned machine for its day. I'll bet it was a blast to ride.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Jap BSA copy was the Meguro a carbon of the 500cc A7/650cc A10, which was taken over by Kawasaki and sold by them. I have to admit really liking the BSA bikes myself despite the oil leaks and questionable build, bit like Russian cameras ace if you get a good one! btw the Spitfire was the most highly tuned member of the A65 family, hence the high BHP number, however it was probably a bit too tuned giving it the propensity to blow up, especially in the Spitfire mk4 roadster- which was very fast between engine rebuilds. Very Happy