Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

broken diaphragm on Canon FD 50mm 1.8, DIY?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: broken diaphragm on Canon FD 50mm 1.8, DIY? Reply with quote

Hi all,
i recently found my parents Canon AE-1, but unfortunately the lens iris is blocked at maximum aperture.
I know these lenses usually do not permit to set the aperture while the lens is off camera. but even when the lens is mounted the dof preview switch doesn't work.. while it works with the FD 135 mm.
In conclusion i guess something is broken inside the lens.

Considering that a pro repair would cost at least 50$ and that is also the price you can buy online a used sample..
i was thinking it could be worth to try a DIY repair..what do you think?

i have read this post

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/trying-to-unfungus-a-nice-canon-fd-50mm-1-8-t42412,highlight,+canon++fd.html]
Trying to unfungus a nice Canon FD 50mm 1.8[/url]

the lens is exactly the same, but now i have to face the diaphragm problem...
any tips more than welcome!

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: broken diaphragm on Canon FD 50mm 1.8, DIY? Reply with quote

mores wrote:
Hi all,
i recently found my parents Canon AE-1, but unfortunately the lens iris is blocked at maximum aperture.
I know these lenses usually do not permit to set the aperture while the lens is off camera. but even when the lens is mounted the dof preview switch doesn't work.. while it works with the FD 135 mm.
In conclusion i guess something is broken inside the lens.

Considering that a pro repair would cost at least 50$ and that is also the price you can buy online a used sample..
i was thinking it could be worth to try a DIY repair..what do you think?

i have read this post

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/trying-to-unfungus-a-nice-canon-fd-50mm-1-8-t42412,highlight,+canon++fd.html]
Trying to unfungus a nice Canon FD 50mm 1.8[/url]

the lens is exactly the same, but now i have to face the diaphragm problem...
any tips more than welcome!

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are cheap, I paid £5 for a very clean one a few weeks ago. Now I have two, I forgot I already had one ! Rolling Eyes

So, I guess it's worth a go at repairing. It'll be a learning curve.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/trying-to-unfungus-a-nice-canon-fd-50mm-1-8-t42412,highlight,%2Btrying+%2Bunfungus+%2Bnice+%2Bcanon+%2Bfd.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that it's not just sticky blades. That'll be worth trying to fix, but at the end of the day, they are cheap lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
some updates:
i managed to extract the diaphragm, and the blades were blocked at full aperture. i unblocked them and the dof preview switch was working good.
but after taking a shot they got blocked again....it seems that when u push strongly and fast the lever to open the diaphragm the blades get stuck...

so i have 2 options now:
1-opening the diaphragm removing the 3 screws that keep all together-> but i think i will not be able to put it back together again
2-trying to lubricate it...

anyway up to now it has been a very instructive experience..
thanks to all

PS
if i can i will post some pictures