Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Braun Reflex-Ultralit 2.8/50mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - here you are ... After dismantling the lens we can says that this is the approximate lens section of the Braun Reflex-Ultralit 2.8/50mm:

As I had (correctly) assumed from the reflections, we have an inversed Elmar design. Neither the original Leitz Elmar 3.5/5cm nor this inversed Elmar (ie the Braun Reflex-Ultralit 2.8/50) can compete with the postwar Zeiss Tessar 2.8/50mm, let alone with the Rodenstock Ysarex 2.8/50mm (which is the best vintage Tessar type lens I own).

Front lens (doublet):

Rear lens (singlet):

Remaining central (negative) single lens:

Mystery solved, again!

S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
OK - here you are ... After dismantling the lens we can says that this is the approximate lens section of the Braun Reflex-Ultralit 2.8/50mm:

As I had (correctly) assumed from the reflections, we have an inversed Elmar design. Neither the original Leitz Elmar 3.5/5cm nor this inversed Elmar (ie the Braun Reflex-Ultralit 2.8/50) can compete with the postwar Zeiss Tessar 2.8/50mm, let alone with the Rodenstock Ysarex 2.8/50mm (which is the best vintage Tessar type lens I own).

Front lens (doublet):

Rear lens (singlet):

Remaining central (negative) single lens:

Mystery solved, again!

S

Like 1 Like Dog Friends

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two other lenses of similar layout that I have disassembled, although I can't recall where the aperture was positioned to say if they were of standard Tessar or Elmar variant. The first is the Isco-Gottingen Westanar, I've tried two copies of that lens, neither of which I found to be outstanding. The other was the Tamron-made Soligor Miranda 50/2.8 supplied with the Miranda S and also as the budget option for other models instead of the Kowa-made 5cm/1.9. That lens is fairly well regarded, particularly when used with extensions, although looking back through my test shots my copy was also not outstanding. The best Tessar type I have a record of from my own testing is the Yashinon 5cm/2.8 sold as a budget option for their J series cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Mystery solved, again!

S

Thank you for the evidence. At least one lens type of the two (I recalled from memory) fits the actual lay-out of this lens then.
My favorite Tessar types are the Vito BL Color Skopar 50mm 2.8 that has an FE mount now, unit focusing and a Yashica YK Yashinon 45mm 2.8 also with an FE mount now, unit focusing too.
With 6x6, 6x9 and 3.5×4.5" folders it was respectively the Iskra Industar 58 75mm 3.5, the Kodak Anastigmat Special 101mm 4.5 and the Ysarex 127mm 4.0.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I have two other lenses of similar layout that I have disassembled, although I can't recall where the aperture was positioned to say if they were of standard Tessar or Elmar variant. The first is the Isco-Gottingen Westanar, I've tried two copies of that lens, neither of which I found to be outstanding. The other was the Tamron-made Soligor Miranda 50/2.8 supplied with the Miranda S and also as the budget option for other models instead of the Kowa-made 5cm/1.9. That lens is fairly well regarded, particularly when used with extensions, although looking back through my test shots my copy was also not outstanding. The best Tessar type I have a record of from my own testing is the Yashinon 5cm/2.8 sold as a budget option for their J series cameras.

Alun,
The rangefinder Yashica 35 J series with fixed lenses? Should that not be a 45mm then and almost identical in shape to my Yashinon 45mm 2.8 of the Yashica 35 YK ?
Or one of the rare Yashikor exchangeable 50mm 2.8 LTM mount lenses, either Xenotar or Tessar types.
There was also the SLR Yashica J series with M42 mount but a 50mm 2.8 is harder to find there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Alun Thomas wrote:

Alun,
The rangefinder Yashica 35 J series with fixed lenses? Should that not be a 45mm then and almost identical in shape to my Yashinon 45mm 2.8 of the Yashica 35 YK ?
Or one of the rare Yashikor exchangeable 50mm 2.8 LTM mount lenses, either Xenotar or Tessar types.
There was also the SLR Yashica J series with M42 mount but a 50mm 2.8 is harder to find there.

It's the one from the SLR J series, usually sold with a JP camera, their update to the Penta J.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever seen Js with the also awesome (semi) Auto Yashinon 5cm f/2 attached, also a fantastic lens. I believe that one's a 6 element Double Gauss. Supposedly it's a Tomioka design, but it shares mechanics and styling with some of the early Takumar semi-autos, so a bit of a mystery.

Alun Thomas wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Alun Thomas wrote:

Alun,

It's the one from the SLR J series, usually sold with a JP camera, their update to the Penta J.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of these with a working (motly) Paxette Reflex Automatic camera. Also a Rodenstock 135mm F4 with case in DKL. I tested it this afternoon an I would say...Enna. Bad lens. Soft at pretty much every aperture. It does have nice clear optics and the robust DKL housing but optically it is worse than any Staeble lens I hae ever tried. enna has some highly regarded glass.. I have never tried any of their fast portrait lenses swhich command prices I am unwilling to pay. I don't really do a lot of portrait so ther's that. But Enna glass has failed to impress time and time again.