Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bird in flight (BIF)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Bird in flight (BIF) Reply with quote

One of the achievements in photography that gives me great satisfaction is capturing a bird in flight. I've seen some spectacular BIF photos, but most came from AF lenses. I too have a few pictures from an AF lens that I'm quite fond of, but for all of you who know how much more difficult it is to get a crisp picture using a MF lens, you'll understand the accomplishment and personal satisfaction.

The stronger the lens, the greater the difficulty. Well, that is if you're not at infinity, which would provide everthing in focus. The best images will come at shorter distances, providing out-of-focus backgrounds and better subject isolation. Yesterday was such a day where I got lucky and achieved that elusive sharp focus and isolation. My favorite birds of late have been the blue herons that hang out at the water holes on our local golf course. I try to stay out of the way, but there is still some danger in working in this environment as many of the golfers don't hit straight.

These pictures taken with a 200mm and cropped.

And this recent one where I was a little too close:

I would name this bird Alfalfa; does anyone understand the reference?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the Alfalfa resemblance Laughing

Nice ones.

Fantastic light and detail in #4. Don't say you were too close, say it's a "close up portrait".