Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Biotar - T or not to T, that is the question.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Biotar - T or not to T, that is the question. Reply with quote

I positive this topic must have come up here, but I've just gone way back into the archives and come up blank on this specific topic. If anyone knows of a thread link feel free to post here.

My question is simply - does the 'T' on some Biotars imply it is coated while others are not, or do later Biotars have coating anyways regardless? I have a later version 75/1.5 Exa with no T and have to be pretty careful about flare and wash-out in sunlight (more than with other lenses). Has anyone noted any difference in shooting between versions?

Thanks,

K.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T should mean better coating. All M42 alu CZJ lenses are coated, I think.

Yesterday, I looked on my silver CZJ lenses and I discovered, that color of the coating is not identical. Some of them has purple coating, others more blue. And red T doesn't matter. T Biotars are mostly blue, non-T Biotars are more purple, but the old manual T Biotars are somewhere between. Both T Tessars (40/4.5 and 50/2.8 ) are not blue (despite T mark); only purple. The late semi-auto Biotar 58/2 (non-T) is purple.

I'd say only some T lenses has the blue coating (biotars). And all non-T lenses + all Tessars (which are not prone to flares) are purple...

In fact the blue-coated lenses are blue + purple, the others are purple only... could it mean, that the T coating is a primitive form of multi-coating (2-layers)?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MC in tessar desingn is antieconomic. Almost all (or all directly) the tessar not MC, single coat.

Today and in the past too. The last Elmar 50/2,8 Leica M is single coat too. So I think that this question not change there is, or not, a T in the lens.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote: ....Has anyone noted any difference in shooting between versions?

I have Biotar 2/58mm with no T, and Biotar 1,5/75mm with T.
I have compared the results and Biotar 1,5/75mm with T shows more resistance
against flare. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

convert1 wrote:

I have Biotar 2/58mm with no T, and Biotar 1,5/75mm with T.
I have compared the results and Biotar 1,5/75mm with T shows more resistance
against flare. Hope this helps.

It does help actually. Of course, photos would be very welcome Smile The thing I don't get is that going on serial numbers, many M42 'T's are actually many years earlier than my late Exa one without.

K.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
The MC in tessar desingn is antieconomic. Almost all (or all directly) the tessar not MC, single coat.

Today and in the past too. The last Elmar 50/2,8 Leica M is single coat too. So I think that this question not change there is, or not, a T in the lens.

Rino.

The only MC tessar from CZJ is Prakticar 50/2.8 (tessar design) historically.
This tessar design Prakticar is relatively rare, onetime it fetched US$1,500
at ePay. Today no one pays such an amount for 35mm format tessar lens.

By this Prakticar 50/2.8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
estudleon wrote:

Rino.

By this Prakticar 50/2.8

Thanks Koji. Shot looks well contrasted. I was also informed that for some makes, MC stands for 'meter coupled' (where the aperture lever could be switched to auto for example) not sure after Pentax where it means Multi-coated or not.

Thanks!

Kelly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote:...photos would be very welcome....

Hi, the different will be seen between upper and lower source light (blue flare). Since the pics resized, it might be not to be seen as I wish. Please have a look at my flickr.
Taken with 5D + Biotar 2/58mm @f2

Taken with 5D + Biotar 1,5/75mm T @f2

The both Biotar M42 Version was taken with Tomioka 60mm @f4
Biotar 1,5/75mm T, meter scale only, fat version (there are 3 different versions), build in 1952
[/img]

Hope this helps
Kind regards

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
estudleon wrote:

Rino.

By this Prakticar 50/2.8

MC tessar? So It's a jewel.

I see the lens in your prakticar's page, and read the lens ring where say "MC".

But really I doubt that this was truth. Contax didn't a MC Tessar. Leica didn't a MC Elmarit. Eastern Germany would put in that cost by the end of 70's ?

We're talking about 4 surfaces air-glass only, where the difference between MC and SC it does not justify the cost of the MC.

In addition, if the lens is watched, we will see that the frontal element is deeply located in the body of the lens, which serves to it like lenshade. It but the little amount of surfaces air-glasses makes the MC. unnecessary

But these are not more than speculations, if it is MC.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
We're talking about 4 surfaces air-glass only, where the difference between MC and SC it does not justify the cost of the MC.

4 surfaces? I thought we were talking about Tessar lenses?

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
estudleon wrote:

4 surfaces? I thought we were talking about Tessar lenses?

Cheers!

Abbazz

Yes, it has only four internal surfaces air-glass

Koji permission, please:

http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/lens_design

Now, if you want to consider the 2 surfaces " external " (that all the lenses have, reason why redundant is its consideration to distinguish the designs to the effects of the reflections), are 6 surfaces air-glass. But such consideration does not affect the content of the text, unless you want to mean something with your post.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biotar T vs. non-T

The T version is older (35...) thant the non-T (44...)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Biotar T vs. non-T

The T version is older (35...) thant the non-T (44...)

Well done.

The newer has a pale purple reflection, the older a blue and stronger.

Any difference in pic?

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

That's the first time I hear someone qualifying the Tessar as having "four internal surfaces air-glass." Laughing

estudleon wrote:
But such consideration does not affect the content of the text, unless you want to mean something with your post.

Yes indeed, I hope I do mean something with my posts.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's overcast - I'll wait for sun (maybe till the end of next week Sad ).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Permission granted, Rino. Very Happy

I always thought Tessar has 6 air-to-lens surfaces.

Prakticar 50/2.8 has really Multi-Coating, very deep blue beautiful one.

One reason CZJ used MC for Prakicar 50/2.8 is to retain uniform colour
rendering for all the Prakticars, which is the same idea as Nikon NIC (Nikon
Integral Coating), this feature is very clearly recognizable if you use them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
estudleon wrote:

That's the first time I hear someone qualifying the Tessar as having "four internal surfaces air-glass." Laughing

estudleon wrote:
But such consideration does not affect the content of the text, unless you want to mean something with your post.

Yes indeed, I hope I do mean something with my posts.

Cheers!

Abbazz

I'm sorry for you, but I read and hear this to lot of specialized optics

Well, anyway, we can learn anything all the times. Wink

And yes, you mean something with your post (everybody do this), I refer

to one post in individual, no more than this.

I think that you are very enabled to give your opinion on the bottom

question (tessar's MC, convenience or not, etc), and sure it will be very

interesant Perhaps you had done it and I did not understand it, of there my commentary.

Regards,

R I N O

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All M42 Biotars (& Tessars) will be coated, as coating came along before the M42 mount; however, there will be uncoated lenses in Exakta mount which began 13 years earlier.

And the Tessar does have only 4 internal glass/air surfaces; it has 6 overall, but only 4 are internal. Having said that, of course, all 6 generate reflections...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I took a shot of almost all old silver lenses I have to better show the difference in colour of the coating. I added some CCCP lenses for comparison.

3 different angles (I think the second one is the best and most corresponding with reality), 4x Meyer, 8x Zeiss, 4x CCCP. All lenses are wide-opened and black rear-cap is on to ensure constant conditions:

- each Meyer lens has different color, (my) Primagon has uncoated front element, Primoplan is the old version

- CZJ T lenses are more blue, non-T lenses are more purple. The exception are Tessars. Unfortunately I have no non-T Tessar to compare (are the non-T Tessars coated?). Biometar shows some rainbows (not sure if it's caused by the coating or optical design, or combination of both)

- Helios 40 is yellow. Jupiters are from different factories, the slimmer one is marked by Π (alternative to Zeiss T). Unfortunately I have no black M42 Jupiter (neither the old version, nor the newer version, or the last MC version) to compare. Both Jupiters changes color in dependence of the angle. Helios 44 is MMZ, 44-3, which is one of the oldest CCCP MC Helios lenses

You can click the pictures to enlarge...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent done!!!!! Luxury!!! Exclamation

COLLECTOR QUALITY JOB

One of the better jobs that I saw in any forum (and in most magazine of the first line too).

Thanks, No- X, very, very much.

My pentacon 50/1,8 has the same coated reflections than the Helios and

primoplan. Shocked

R I N O

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My three tessars, clearly Prakticar 50/2.8 has MC.

Left to right> Exakta 50/2.8, M42 50/2.8, Prakticcar 50/2.8
(M42 is blueish, but it reflects the sky.)

Left to right> Prakticar, M42, Exakta

Exakta S/N 64874xx (1961-1964)
M42 S/N 4769xx (1955-1958)
The both lenses do not seem to have coating, or very very pale blue
coating hardly noticeable (I cannot tell). They should have a coating?

By the way, Prakticar 50/2.8 (tessar type) was produced 1980s.

Someday I will test these tessars with MC and with pale single coat or none.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great and precise job. Very good for you, Koji. Thanks. All very informative and instructive.

All the lens that you show are coated

Sure are Single coated the two tessars olders.

The prakticar has a strong coated, but I don't know if it's multilayer. I tell this because the lens reflections reminds me the reflections of the minolta 45/2 that is single coated (it has a very strong blues and yellow/red reflections like your prakticar).

Regards,

R I N O.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color of lens coating doesn't really mean a lot, except that any coated lens will have some sort of color cast to it. The coating itself has no color; the color you see in the reflection is a function of the thickness of the coating material. The reason that most lens coating looks purple is that its thickness is calculated to suppress green reflections - green being in the center of the visible spectrum - and what you see is everything EXCEPT the suppressed color. In some lenses, the different elements were coated different colors to spread the effect more uniformly across the spectrum, and this was done long before multi-coating came along... so a multi-colored reflection does not mean a multi-coated lens.

Here's an explanation of how the coating works and why you see the colors that you see: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-166.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can decide SC or MC. Very Happy

Minolta 45/2 & Prakticar 50/2.8

Minolta has thinner coating than Prakticar

at back the same as the above

Minolta has three colour reflection (purple,orange,blue)

Prakticar has four colour reflection (orange,blue+purple,turquoise)

Sorry not good photos, I hastely made them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coating formula changing from time to time. "T" and without "T" was a legal matters only.