Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Biotar 2/58 for Mo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Biotar 2/58 for Mo Reply with quote

Here are some quick shots with the Biotar 2/58 that I received with an old pentacon body.

This lens has been produced between 1955 and 1958.
It always hit the mirror on my 5D MkII because of the rear design which enters in the camera body when screwed entirely on a standard adapter.
This is the same as the preset alu Flektogon 2.8/35.

I had to use it with a flanged adapter.
Max distance focus : approx 4 meters and it seems that it modifies dof either.

At f2, it's soft. Good for painting effects. Smile
First ones at f2, f2.8, then f5.6.

1- Flek 2.8/35 on the left, Biotar 2/58 on the right

2- Shots with the Biotar

3-

4-

5-

6-

7-

8-

9-

10-

11-

12-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Biotar 2/58 for Mo Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:

Really?
My Biotar 2/58 is surprisingly sharp at f/2.
Hmmm...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Biotar 2/58 for Mo Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Olivier wrote:

Really?
My Biotar 2/58 is surprisingly sharp at f/2.
Hmmm...

Hello Carsten.
Has yours the same design ?
Maybe it's soft because I can't screw it entirely on the 5D MkII ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that problem is in your 5D but the glass. Soft and creamy background - like very much. This lens is one that have own character.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love them Olivier #5 is my favorite.
I have a knurled aperture ring on my Biotar and knurled bottom focus ring, I note yours has small lines on your aperture ring(not sure how to describe that "look") You have beautiful pastel bokeh it must be your background garden? as mine has harsh brush stroke bokeh.(I like both versions not complaining just comparing ) Very Happy
If I were you I would by a camera (Panasonic maybe or Olympus) to fit these odd lenses on so you can use them...I am looking at possibly doing that if money permits so I can try all the odd ball lenses Cool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oliver

I had a year ago biotar one like yours (from late fifties)- alu finish t coated.. quite sharp as i remember. Very prone to flare.

Now i have an older one (1945) which is much smaller black one t coated again. This feels like a different lens - totally different character - soft and creamy.

So i guess they varry with the years.. even the size is design is different.

BR,
Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At F2 my Biotar is sharp in the centre.

The main problem I have with your samples and also Moira's is that they have no swirls. I think they forgot to add the swirl element in your lenses. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I love them Olivier #5 is my favorite.
I have a knurled aperture ring on my Biotar and knurled bottom focus ring, I note yours has small lines on your aperture ring(not sure how to describe that "look") You have beautiful pastel bokeh it must be your background garden? as mine has harsh brush stroke bokeh.(I like both versions not complaining just comparing ) Very Happy
If I were you I would by a camera (Panasonic maybe or Olympus) to fit these odd lenses on so you can use them...I am looking at possibly doing that if money permits so I can try all the odd ball lenses Cool

Moïra, I agree with you about #5. Yes it is my garden as background. I try to take the background into account when I shoot in macro or proxi mode.
About the lens, I think it fits the 40D. But I have to wait my daughter's return as she kidnapped it... Laughing

Stefan, it seems that Biotars look like wine. There are different years' qualities.

Martin, I'll try to open it and clean lenses as there are some dust and some traces. Any servicing tips for this one ?
PS : you are right, I have no swirling element... Laughing I'm gonna take one on my trioplan, it has too much of them.

Thank you spleen. It's true that it has character.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Biotar and a Helios-44 and I find them both to be sharp at f/2.

When I disassembled my Biotar, the main problem I had was how to put it back together without losing infinity focus, because the threads can be screwed in at multiple positions. Make sure you make some marks on the barrel, so you know how to assemble it back. I spent a couple of hours to find the proper position. My Biotar looks slightly different than yours, but I believe your version is assembled in the same way.