Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Big test of around 100mm lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Big test of around 100mm lenses Reply with quote

I'm going to downsize my collection considerably. Before I do, I want to test my lenses against each other. I'm going to try out my 85-105mm lenses first. It's going to be timeconsuming so I want to avoid stupid mistakes and any extra work. What would be a meaningful way to conduct the test without making it too big a task?

I was thinking:

One closeup at f3.5, one medium distance (think whole body portrait distance) at f5.6 and one landscape at f11. I guess I should include a picture of wide open performance as well. I'm not going to treat the macro lenses as macro lenses, I'm hoping for a positive surprise.

The lenses that I will include in the test are:

Canon FD 85/1.2 Asph
Samyang 85/1.4
Konica Hexanon 85/1.8
Contax G 90/2.8
Voigtländer 90/3.5 Apo
Tokina 90/2.5 Macro
Olympus OM 90/2 Macro
Olympus OM 100/2
Olympus PenF 100/3.5
X-Fujinon 100/2.8 EBC
Yashica ML 100/3.5 Macro
Konica Hexanon 100/2.8
Nikon 105/1.8 AI-S
Nikon 105/2.5 AI-S

And as a bonus the zooms Hexanon UC 45-100/3.5 and Olympus PenF 50-90/3.5 at their longest.

A lot of work but I think it will be wort it. Hopefully.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by Pontus on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go out and shoot nice subjects and forget this test , lot of work and bring a little. A technically better lens makes worst shoot in bad light, not proper hands or boring subject than a low respected lens in proper hands on good light. Take a look on Woodrim, Luisallegria etc photos many of them made with low respected lens and what a photos.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that you're right but I kind of like comparing lenses like this. And if I don't do it I will feel that I missed the chance, once the lenses have been sold Confused

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's a very good test, but with so many lenses to test, you will need to dedicate a whole day, or at least an afternoon, for it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
I know that you're right but I kind of like comparing lenses like this. And if I don't do it I will feel that I missed the chance, once the lenses have been sold Confused

In this case go ahead Laughing I look forward it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Big test of around 100mm lenses Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Nikon 105/2 AI-S

Never heard of that one. But I love my Nikkor 2.5/105, definitely a keeper. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will take time, I'm aware of that. I've done similiar tests before. Here's an example from a couple of years back, WAY too ambitious Embarassed

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/tele-lenses-compared-warning-lots-of-pictures_topic72613_post827700.html?KW=#827700f

Last edited by Pontus on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Big test of around 100mm lenses Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:
Pontus wrote:
Nikon 105/2 AI-S

Never heard of that one. But I love my Nikkor 2.5/105, definitely a keeper. Wink

Nikkor 105/2.5 of course, I've corrected my original post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Attila and I wouldn't bother. Not fun to shoot these tests and too boring to look at.

Selecting lenses based on technical tests is a fallacy imho.

Keep the ones you enjoy using most that produces the pictures you enjoy most.

As long as it's technically good enough to make enjoyable pictures, it's good enough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is that if you don't already know which lenses you like best, then you haven't used them enough.

There's a lot more than optical quality to consider, which you only find out by using them. For example the pictures from my Jupiter-9 are great but I find it awkward to adjust the aperture.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you nail the focus, keep the subject identical, identical lighting, and get the exposure to match, comparing is going to be hard.

Last edited by hifisapi on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
unless you nail the focus, keep the subject identical, and get the exposure to match, comparing is going to be hard.

You need a test target, a constant light source, a tripod, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Big test of around 100mm lenses Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:

The lenses that I will include in the test are:

Canon FD 85/1.2 Asph
Samyang 85/1.4
Konica Hexanon 85/1.8
Contax G 90/2.8
Voigtländer 90/3.5 Apo
Tokina 90/2.5 Macro
Olympus OM 90/2 Macro
Olympus OM 100/2
Olympus PenF 100/3.5
X-Fujinon 100/2.8 EBC
Yashica ML 100/3.5 Macro
Konica Hexanon 100/2.8
Nikon 105/1.8 AI-S
Nikon 105/2.5 AI-S

Any ideas or suggestions?

That's quite a list of quality lenses, not just cheap junk.

Last edited by jjphoto on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are done. Let me take over.
I can continue using them and shot natural objects instead of charts, and map the unique properties of each lens.
That too is very time consuming.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
I can continue using them and shot natural objects instead of charts, and map the unique properties of each lens.

Charts tell you exactly what is what with each lens. Charts are more useful than 'natural objects' for lens comparisons because it's impossible to control all the variables otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Go out and shoot nice subjects and forget this test , lot of work and bring a little. A technically better lens makes worst shoot in bad light, not proper hands or boring subject than a low respected lens in proper hands on good light. Take a look on Woodrim, Luisallegria etc photos many of them made with low respected lens and what a photos.

Confused

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
hoanpham wrote:

Charts tell you exactly what is what with each lens. Charts are more useful than 'natural objects' for lens comparisons because it's impossible to control all the variables otherwise.

I disagree. Shots in real world situations are far more enlightening than any test chart shot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Pontus wrote:

In this case go ahead Laughing I look forward it.

+1 and maybe add just a few selected crops for resolution comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
hoanpham wrote:

I agree, charts can give the definitive difference between lenses, but most of us don't shoot charts. I know what you're saying, and I can't disagree with it. But...................

......we expect to get images and delightful and interesting pictures from our lenses, the technicalities of the equipment have to be secondary. So, my opinion is; shoot some difficult real world pictures with each lens - and one good well controlled test shot, not a chart, but a very average image that anyone would shoot. Set it up with controlled lighting, on a tripod and shoot. I think that will show up the good, the bad and the ugly. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Oreste wrote:
hoanpham wrote:

I agree, charts can give the definitive difference between lenses, but most of us don't shoot charts. I know what you're saying, and I can't disagree with it. But...................

......we expect to get images and delightful and interesting pictures from our lenses, the technicalities of the equipment have to be secondary. So, my opinion is; shoot some difficult real world pictures with each lens - and one good well controlled test shot, not a chart, but a very average image that anyone would shoot. Set it up with controlled lighting, on a tripod and shoot. I think that will show up the good, the bad and the ugly. Wink

But you can't tell what is the lens and what is the environment that way. Too many variables/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
Oreste wrote:
hoanpham wrote:

But you can't tell what is the lens and what is the environment that way. Too many variables/

I know, but we shoot 'variables' 99.9% of the time. I said that I'd like to see one fully controlled picture from each lens, make it a challenging picture, but not a test chart. Or at least do this alongside a test chart picture. I see more, and seem able to judge a lens better from a picture than any chart, maybe that's a personal thing? I suspect it is. Laughing I think I'm having a quiet revolution against pixel peeping. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Oreste wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
Oreste wrote:
hoanpham wrote:

I know, but we shoot 'variables' 99.9% of the time. I said that I'd like to see one fully controlled picture from each lens, make it a challenging picture, but not a test chart. Or at least do this alongside a test chart picture. I see more, and seem able to judge a lens better from a picture than any chart, maybe that's a personal thing? I suspect it is. Laughing I think I'm having a quiet revolution against pixel peeping. Wink

Ideally, one does both, but some scenes can mask lens flaws. I have used test charts and it does give a very clear insight into a lens's performance potential. Some test chats have special patterns that show astigmatism and coma.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charts can be useful, but most of the time we shoot in real life situations when it's anything but a well controlled environment... so the use of charts is also quite limited...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charts tell you about sharpness, but don't tell you much about bokeh, flare, colour temperature, and the million other things that are important in any real photo...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus, all of those lenses have been tested, and most of us know that they have strengths and a few weaknesses...mostly strengths Very Happy . I think testing lenses may have had validity when they were first introduced, before they were known. And when shooting film, only film, it was much more important information. But now, in this digital age, post production can eliminate many weaknesses, so much more depends upon the sensor of the camera. There are probably greater variables in using a Sony Nex 5n as opposed to a Nikon D4, etc., in respect to how a lens renders, and what can be pulled from a shot.