Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best Telleconverter M42?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Best Telleconverter M42? Reply with quote

Hello,
I just want to play w my old fixed lens from my late father and need advice the best m42 TC 2x or 3x. Is there any 1.4x TC w m42 mount.
I asked because I can not find reference of this TC on that era on net.
Many thanks,
RTOGOG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Vivitar made their macro-focusing 7-element 2x for M42, get one. I dunno if they ever did, though, but I wouldn't be surprised. If Kiron made a 7-element 2x for M42, this would be second on my list. Other brands that made good TCs that I know of are/were Kenko and Komura. I'd definitely go with a 7-element, regardless, and hopefully multicoated.

Also, in case I overlook the obvious, if Pentax made one, then definitely get one of those.

I just took a quick look on eBay. There are all sorts of 2x and 3x TCs, but most of the 2x ones look like 4-element types. I noticed several Russian made ones, and I wouldn't be surprised if they work very well. At least they look like 7-element converters.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Vivitar made their macro-focusing 7-element 2x for M42, get one.

Does it the same lens that come out w other brand name?. I got it from my late father collection. It looks the same shape but it branded as Soligor. I like very much this macro teleconverter, interm of optic & its built quality.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only macro-focusing TC I've ever seen has been the Vivitar. It has a focusing ring like a lens. Perhaps the same unit was sold as other brands -- I just don't know.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenko made a 2X Macro converter too. But I don't know if it exists with M42 mount.
Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the X2 macro converters under some brands, but never was in M42 mount, only a Panagor that doesn't allow focusing at infinity (can focus between 1:10 and 1:1 with a 50mm lens). Pentax didnt make an M42 teleconverter, I'll also suggest the well reputated Komura Telemore 95II (7 elements). X1,5 converters exist, I have one, but they seem to be rare in M42 mount.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best Telleconverter M42? Reply with quote

RTOGOG wrote:
Hello,
I just want to play w my old fixed lens from my late father and need advice the best m42 TC 2x or 3x. Is there any 1.4x TC w m42 mount.
I asked because I can not find reference of this TC on that era on net.
Many thanks,
RTOGOG

Vivitar has a 1.5x teleconverter - 3 elements and it's not that good.

Of the cheap 4-element 2x teleconverters you might want to try the East-German or Soviet ones. My East-German one (Weixdowrf) is excellent at close distances resolutionwise, even wide open (contrast drops though), but quite bad at infinity. My Soviet one (K-1) is on the other hand a solid performer at longer distances (as well as shorter ones), but the lens should be stopped down a bit.

What you must remember is that you also need a solid (prime) lens to attach the teleconverter into.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw, somehere in the Mancha, the russian KOHBEPTEP K-1 -2x .

Like russian lens, can be good. Anybody knows?

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

Rino.

I have it and it is quite good.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
estudleon wrote:

Rino.

I have it and it is quite good.

Thanks Anu.

Rino