Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best Tamron lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the 60B and more recently the 01A. The 52B is great, but its little hotspot issue has seriously reduced my uses for it (I can't take it anywhere near a light box, for example).

newton wrote:
I have stayed away from Tamron. They look cheaply built to me. I don't think anyone can convince me.

Wait... Are you serious?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
newton wrote:
I have stayed away from Tamron. They look cheaply built to me. I don't think anyone can convince me.

Laughing Laughing Sorry, but that is ridiculous. Laughing

I have to agree. I've certainly changed my own mind when I felt
adamantly that I was right....until someone brought in more examples
and facts. You really would benefit from a more open mind. I'm not
chastising, only an opinion. Cool

I had the Tamron SP 70-210 (19AH) which was really a dynamite lens
for sharpness and lack of fringing. I sold it a few years ago, but picked
up a "lesser" Tamron 70-210 f/3.8-4 (46A) that seems to be just as good. Or,
at least my eyes can't see differences that would amount to anything
major. A very very nice lens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feed the trolls.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Don't feed the trolls.

+1 Cool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
newton wrote:

Are you serious? The Adaptall-2 and SP lenses are built like tanks! Laughing

Thanks Graham. May be I should check them out.

For those people who think I am trolling, take a bit of time and reflect.

Re-flect.

It is discussions like these that edify, so now you have a new buyer and a person of interest. Be careful not to judge and personally, at people. I learned a thing or two about Tamron, something I did not know but only got biased about by "experts" at camera stores. If it is not clear by now, I am obviously learning as is any one on a discussion forum. Welcome Tamron to my collection and ownership. I picked one up (SP 35-80) today after getting paid! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 35-80 you picked up is the SP 01a then, by all accounts I've read and seen, you've got a lens that is a top notch optic.

As to the matter of our suspecting you of trolling, I would not be surprised if others here have done as I have and have noted that in your recent posts and threads, many of your comments have come across as being negative or derogatory. This is not a judgment, this is a point of fact. If this is the path you choose to follow, well fine, but I would caution you to be careful where you step. We may have certain beloved lenses and cameras here, but no sacred cows. So what this means is, if criticism is offered it must be done in a reasoned and thorough manner and cannot be mere opinion. Unless I suppose that a person clearly announces that something is their simple opinion, and then it will be held in appropriate regard. Cuz you know what they say about opinions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. I do not know what they say about opinions but I will take that as a fair comment. Yep, it is a nice lens. I guess that is an opinion. Wink I cannot wait to use it!

There was only one post that was somewhat in the negative direction but that was it and it was a reflection of frustration of how much more difficult it seems to be getting to get rare or MF lenses while their prices keep going up. I was only asking why that is and everyone helped me understand that.

Why do so many other people knock Tamron? You know that is where I got that from. They always say it under their breath like it is a compromise or the inexpensive option of getting something good or great. Lots of camera dealers have expressed this, including a few others I know who own Tamron, just in discourse with them (but outside of this site) and photographers I have met at events. Why do people seem to say like it is a second option vs.. the bigger name brands? Anyways, I can now see how great and affordable they are! I cannot wait to try mine! Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newton, how can you go from thinking they're rubbish to thinking they're great without even handling a Tamron? Laughing I don't know anyone who thinks they're rubbish, just more affordable and perhaps not quite as great as the oem lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I went to the store and tried them out and I did a lot of reading on the adapt-all site, here, and other places, breaking the bias that was subtly passed down to me. I also tried them about a year ago and I do not know what happened in the store with that. The salesman steered me away from them, saying they were not as great as the Canon L series. In the end, I was left befuddled and biased. I have to be really careful with that and what some owners and expert salesman in the stores tell me or try to sell. Good question!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
...The salesman steered me away from them, saying they were not as great as the Canon L series.

What a jerk, that salesmen!

It would be something like saying that you better buy a Porsche, because the Volkswagen "were not as great". Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. I have a Volkswagen. It is my little Porsche and I love it! Very Happy

Yeah, these salesman (at multiple different stores) have been so wrong and I get that confirmation from this forum, kind of like confirming gut instinct, so it is reassuring here! I am so very grateful!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
LOL. I do not know what they say about opinions but I will take that as a fair comment.

"Opinions are like __holes -- everybody has one." Or, in mixed company, "Opinions are like navels -- everybody has one."

Quote:

Why do so many other people knock Tamron? You know that is where I got that from. They always say it under their breath like it is a compromise or the inexpensive option of getting something good or great.

Brand envy. The Tamron name doesn't have the panache that Canon or Nikkor does. It was the same back in the old days of MF gear. There is a certain elitist status associated with using the Canon L or Nikkor ED glass. It's a way of showing off ones wealth, not unlike jewelry. Tamron lenses don't indicate wealth. They indicate value. They indicate one shopping at Costco for their diamonds and pearls instead of Nieman Marcus.

Plus at the camera shops, of course the sales people will talk down the cheaper stuff and try to get you to buy the more expensive stuff. That's their job. Ask them specific questions as to why they prefer the more expensive gear and to back up their arguments with hard data.

I personally have seen spectacular photos taken with aftermarket lenses, photos that are of such high quality that they would be suitable for publication anywhere. Yes, I would prefer to buy Canon L glass for my EOS. But chances are, when I do save up enough for a really nice AF optic, I will more likely pull the trigger for a Sigma or Tamron than continuing to wait until I've saved up 2/3 to twice as much to buy the Canon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
Why do so many other people knock Tamron? You know that is where I got that from. They always say it under their breath like it is a compromise or the inexpensive option of getting something good or great. Lots of camera dealers have expressed this, including a few others I know who own Tamron, just in discourse with them (but outside of this site) and photographers I have met at events. Why do people seem to say like it is a second option vs.. the bigger name brands? Anyways, I can now see how great and affordable they are! I cannot wait to try mine! Thanks.

I think it's because the heavy duty, high performance Adaptall-2 lenses haven't been at the forefront of Tamron's reputation for some time. A lot of folks' only exposure to Tamron may be cheap plastic lenses (Including some of the late Adaptall-2s). I know those AF 28-300's Tamron crapped out by the billions don't exactly leave a good impression.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:

I think it's because the heavy duty, high performance Adaptall-2 lenses haven't been at the forefront of Tamron's reputation for some time.

If someone knocks off Tamron for build quality, you can be sure they never used a metal Tamron from the adaptall-2 era. Even their current plastic lineup is very well built. I am impressed how tight the build of the 70-300 is, given the price it sells for.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:

If someone knocks off Tamron for build quality, you can be sure they never used a metal Tamron from the adaptall-2 era.

That's right. A good idea to point at the difference!
We are not talking about the new Tamron AF lenses, it's the Adaptall line that is meant here!

(The new Tamrons are not bad, but just plastic if compared to Adaptall-2 lenses. The built of new Tokina AT-X and Sigma EX beats the new Tamrons clearly.)