Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best m42 100/135mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is more test on 135mm --> http://oomz.net/135/ FYR.
For M42, I have 4 copies listed below. All comments above are true and I love them all. Here is the con, IMHO.
1. CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5 -> expensive among these four lenses
2. Pentacon 135/2.8 -> average performance with bigger body
3. SMC Takumar 135/3.5 -> yellowish problem
4. Jupiter-37A Black 135/3.5 -> various assembly quality
I have Sonnar first because the bokeh/color performance and 0.9m min focus length. Then I want to experience Russian one, so I got 37A. I have SMC because I want a sharper one. Even thought I got Pentacon by accident, it does not dispoint me. The thing is what you need -- color/sharpness/fast/contrast/..... with affordable price. Once you can not get a "perfect" one, buy more 135mm.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
Once you can not get a "perfect" one, buy more 135mm.

Well, the Contax Sonnar 135/2.8 is quite good (longish MFD though). Nikkor Ai-S 135/2.8 is great in all respects; these aren't awfully expensive, too. Oh, and Vivitar Series 1 135/2.3 VMC is also great Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
My Super-Takumar 135/2.5 is not nearly as sharp. The later six-element S-M-C version is supposed to be so much better.

I had S-M-C 135/3.5 and now I have S-M-C 135/2.5 V2. The f/2.5 V2 model is significantly sharper, but it has slightly more lateral CA. On the other hand, axial CA is quite low for such fast telephoto lens.

Here are 2 shots by the S-M-C 135/2.5 V2:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
aoleg wrote:

Asahi didn't excel with this one.

No? The one I have is a fantastic lens! Again we encounter the problem of generalisation...

Do you have images shot with it, wide open, compared to similar lenses e.g. Sonnar 85/2.8? It might produce acceptable results, but there are plenty of lenses in similar focal length that are better than decent. BTW, both Sonnar and Rolleinar 85/2.8 are available in M42 mount: the Sonnar was made for M42 Rollei cameras for quite a while, and Rolleinar 85/2.8 is made by Mamiya - it's Mamiya-Sekor SX 85/2.8 rebadged. BTW, Rolleinar 100/2.8 (Mamiya-Sekor SX 100/2.8 in M42 mount) is a great lens, too.

LucisPictor wrote:
aoleg wrote:

I have two other lenses sharing a similar optical scheme, Contax Sonnar 85/2.8 and Rolleinar 85/2.8, and both are miles ahead in IQ and bokeh (the Sonnar is the best by quite a margin).

Nikkor 105/2.5 (any version) is also a great lens,

Isn't this thread about M42 lenses?

Except for the Nikkor, the other two lenses are available in M42 mount. On the other hand, they are not quite 100-135mm.

There are also macro lenses that are quite good, and available in M42: the Kiron, Tokina, Vivitar, and Tamron options, all between 90-105mm and f/2.5-2.8.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Super Takumar 135mm/3.5 lens came in two versions, the earlier (5 elements in 4 groups), discussed above by aoleg, and the later (4 elements in 4 groups). The change occurred around 1967. The earlier version, as best as I can tell, has a "4" on the aperture ring, while the later has no "4". Future comments here should reference which version is being discussed.

Also, considerations like the life history of the lens and the quality variability in production should be considered. These can alter some aspects of performance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Do you have images shot with it, wide open, compared to similar lenses e.g. Sonnar 85/2.8? It might produce acceptable results, but there are plenty of lenses in similar focal length that are better than decent. BTW, both Sonnar and Rolleinar 85/2.8 are available in M42 mount: the Sonnar was made for M42 Rollei cameras for quite a while, and Rolleinar 85/2.8 is made by Mamiya - it's Mamiya-Sekor SX 85/2.8 rebadged. BTW, Rolleinar 100/2.8 (Mamiya-Sekor SX 100/2.8 in M42 mount) is a great lens, too.

It's rare that Mamiya's rolleinars are SX version and not the newer SC ones, with differents schames and better rendering. I never found explain to this.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got a pentacon electric 135/2.8 and i'll get also the jupiter 37AM!!

i'm waiting the m42 adaptor for my camera to make some shots:
damn shipping from china it's taking forever! Crying or Very sad

I've the tair-3 if the tair-11 have the same build quality it's a masterpiece,it's unbreackable and it's beatyfull!!! Very Happy