Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best deal on earth - Summilux-R 80/1.4 for just 5 GBP !!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Best deal on earth - Summilux-R 80/1.4 for just 5 GBP !!!! Reply with quote

I bought this lens last year in Leicester, UK. The camera shop was closing down. Lots of used lenses/cameras were placed on long tables. Some 40 GBP, some 20 GBP, some 10 GBP and some 5 GBP. This lens was put on the 5 GBP table. When I first picked it up, I did not realize that it was a Summilux. I soon noticed that it was very heavy. When I took a look at the front ring, it read "Summilux-R" ... what the .... !

But the thing is this lens had been immersed in sea water. Aperture blades were rusted and broken. White colored dust/oxide was in between all lens elements. So what! It's a Summilux! I of course purchased it.

It took me quite some time and effort to open up the front lens group and cleaned it. However, the rear group was so heavily rusted that it simply cannot open despite how hard I tried! Moreover, the aperture blades cannot be fixed. So, all that I can do is to add a black cardboard
between the front and rear lens groups to step it down a bid. With the white dust remains in the rear group, this is how the lens performs on mu NEX-5!

Comments on its quality/price ratio or performance are welcome! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn good deal!!! Congrats! I see no issue on pics.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, great deal !

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Damn good deal!!! Congrats! I see no issue on pics.

Yeap, damn good deal! The issue is there is strong glare if not stepping down, perhaps due to the dust. Sad Sad

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
congrats, great deal !

Thank you! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a huge effort to destroy a good lens, and your pictures show that well. Apparently bathing in sea is not enough for that Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked congrats Shocked

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome deal Smile. I`d love to get me a lens in a stage like that and try to restore it Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
It takes a huge effort to destroy a good lens, and your pictures show that well. Apparently bathing in sea is not enough for that Very Happy

Yes, it is amazing that bathing in salt water is still not enough to kill this lens! Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Shocked congrats Shocked

Thank you! Razz Razz

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
Awesome deal Smile. I`d love to get me a lens in a stage like that and try to restore it Smile

Yes! Restoring it was a very rewarding process, from my experience! Razz Razz