Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bessa R2 mini review
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Bessa R2 mini review Reply with quote

I had a chance to try a Bessa R2 with Color-Skopar 50mm f2.5 lens , before get sold either by my antique merchant friend or me among to him.

Here is my impression, feel nicely in hand. Finder is excellent, bright and large and multi-finder 35,50,75,90mm focal length lenses are usable without any external accessories. Camera is pretty big just like a normal SLR and same loud too Laughing Paint is easily come off , not the best work. Light meter is simple , accurate give clear instructions. Lens is small very small on a big body. Lens shade and filter solution is looks unique to me , first need to screw into filter to lens and after screw onto fixer ring or lens shade ?! Looks just a fixer ring.
Film loading require cut on film strip like factory made cut, this is a minus to me due I use bulk loaded b&w films. This is a nice camera for much less cost , but oh well a Leica-M clone is never been inexpensive. I can't say nothing yet about lens IQ I did try it with slide and b&w film too today, takes time to develop, scan and publish it.
How about your experience ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loud ?
Surprising. There is no mirror so its just the metal shutter thats loud.
Quiet is supposed to be an the advantage of a Leica.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Loud ?
Surprising. There is no mirror so its just the metal shutter thats loud.
Quiet is supposed to be an the advantage of a Leica.

Yes, sound is not disturbing , just interesting, I see no benefits vs a good SLR camera.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Film loading require cut on film strip like factory made cut, this is a minus to me due I use bulk loaded b&w films.

Shocked Shocked Don't you have scissors? Ask your wife! One and a half second per film.
If that is the most important minus the camera must be super for you Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Attila wrote:
Film loading require cut on film strip like factory made cut, this is a minus to me due I use bulk loaded b&w films.

Shocked Shocked Don't you have scissors? Ask your wife! One and a half second per film.
If that is the most important minus the camera must be super for you Laughing Laughing

Laughing certainly I have it just I not like to cut each film , old Exakta for example already solve it with it's spools, all Konicas too. We talk about here for a 300 UKP set if I pay 10x more than average price I expect every little thing to solve well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bessa R (not R2) and can certainly say the shutter is quite loud - a sort of sharp metallic noise. I believe that unlike SLRs which use the same shutter, the Bessa has an extra set of blinds to act as a "capping" arrangement to avoid any chance of fogging when changing lenses. Perhaps that adds to the noise level. The R2 is supposed to have some improvements over the original R and according to what I've read feels more solid.

The black paint on mine has worn away on the shoulders of the body, despite my being careful with it. But it works fine - even the metering is good with my 21mm lens !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A normal Copal square type shutter is no good for a rf camera as they are not completely light tight. They usually sit in an SLR behind a mirror so this is not an issue, but in an rf camera it is. Therefor rf cameras need a different shutter type, some do indeed use two sets of shutter curtains.