Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AV-Xenotar 2,4/90
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: AV-Xenotar 2,4/90 Reply with quote

First a suggestion: i think new major topic should be opened for projection lenses. And separate them from regular ones.

I just bought AV-Xenotar 2,4/90 for Rolleivision. Any experience using it on camera? It seems to be highly appreciated lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think there is so much use of projection lenses for picture taking that it is worth to do so?
I did some testing with a Zeiss Talon 85mm 2.8 and it appeared to be a usefull lens for portraits.
But it is more something for a DIY hobbyclub then for serious photography I blieve.
May be I am wrong Rolling Eyes
At least a lot of projection lenses can be had for little money Idea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i think some are outstanding (Leitz Colorplan 2.5/90mm for instance). I like shooting wide-open so missing aperture isn't big deal. If lens has proper characteristics one can make focusing helicoid or instal it into faulty zoom body.

Last edited by Pancolart on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projection lenses are fun Smile
But I think the cheap lenses - most with plastic mount - give all projection lenses a "bad smell".

I use and like my Meyer Diaplan 100/2,8 which is a sibbling to the famous Trioplan. The Pentacon 100/2.8 projektion lens too. Both are much cheaper than the Trioplan, so a bit DIY + material could be worth the effort:
http://www.4photos.de/test/Meyer-Goerlitz-Trioplan-100mm-2.8.html

I have "converted" a Som Berithot projection lens
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Som-Berthiot-75mm-1.8-conversion.html
I think it was designed for 16mm (not sure) its quality on the borders is bad, but still not a full bad lens.

I have a converted Leitz Colorplan 90 as well - but not much tests made with it.
Some further lenses are shipped at the moment. An I have some more from Isco, Astro Berlin, and I think Schneider too.

But I didn´t we need a special major topic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those colourplan samples are outstanding!

I have a few projection lenses, most of them make excellent camera lenses, I have a Kershaw one that is awesome for portraits.

I say yes, start a group for these lenses!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots Ian!

Could you guys tell me what are the distinct characters of the cine lens compared to the normal SLR lens? I saw some of them has very shallow DOF which interest me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
...Could you guys tell me what are the distinct characters of the cine lens compared to the normal SLR lens? I saw some of them has very shallow DOF which interest me.

Some of the projection lenses are very fast. I have a 16mm film projection lenses with 50mm f/1.2 from Isco if I remember right. On my EOS only usable for macro. Probably µ4/3 would get more possibilities.
I think one of the lenses I will get is 105mm/2 - not super fast, but ok. The lenses are optimized for wide open use - they have normaly no moveable iris.
Some are Petzval design type - this could get swirl bokeh:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richard314159/galleries/72157624453174055/

Or the Meyer Diaplan with its soap bubble bokeh Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to decide if you need lens for TS usage or normal. If first then you'll seek 6x6 projector lens. Otherwise 35mm. Real problem is finding one with useful flange. I don't mind if infinity isn't reached but at least 3-5m is handy. For that in most cases you'll need focal length more then 9cm.