Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Tamron 21mm 4.5...another try at the blossoms!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Auto Tamron 21mm 4.5...another try at the blossoms! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I have had another go at taking blossom photos with this lens.A fellow member suggested I use the hyperfocal technique as it suits wide angles. So here are a few more Blossom images...they are probably the last as the leaves are coming through now.What do you think? I can say I am enjoying trying to get the best out of this lens and learning how to use it.Another reason to love MF lenses.

I saw this light coming through the trees onto the brown leaves.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyperfocal is very useful with such short focal length lens.

Best use for that sort of thing is "street" shooting; set the thing to f/5.6 or f/8 and 10 feet and just point and shoot.
Better and faster than autofocus.

I would consider stopping down a bit, your #1 is showing rather narrow DOF I think.

BTW - is your aperture working ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyperfocal setting is used for subjects between hyperfocal distance and infinity. Subjects closer will not be in focus. Subjects close to infinity will not be in best focus.

These subjects look closer than hyperfocal distance; not within hyperfocal range.

I focus using what I see in the viewfinder. Live view with magnification can get more accurate focus.

I suggest mounting camera/lens on tripod, then spend some time focusing using only what you see in the viewfinder -- once learned it is easy! Focus is easier to see with close subjects.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual focus with very short focal lengths is quite difficult, especially on crop sensor DSLR's.
Its not that much easier even on proper SLR's, even with split image.

Live view and tripods are a pain in the a**.

Personally I guesstimate range and use small apertures if possible, to cover any inaccuracies.
Thats quicker and easier, and gives excellent results.

For street shooting, set a more-or-less range and let DOF handle the discrepancies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Laughing agreed! But they do make life easier sometimes, like for critical focusing & long shutter speeds. Maybe more important, some things are learned easier, imho, in the more restricted environment. Some of these 'things' are of use handheld.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,The aperture sometimes works and sometimes doesn't...it is the internal issue inside.I can set the aperture as F16 but if I happen to tap the lens it can flick wide open on its own ,or if I have it set at wide open and tap/bump the lens it can stop down.So for to me to have it set at 5.6,8,or 11 I would say it is not reliable.I guess a service is in order before I can truly see the best from this lens....at least I can see its potential even in its present state.

I thought I had it right with the hyper focal technique Laughing I will have to try using it again with a reliable lens.What would be a good subject other than street photography?Something that I could clearly see the results of using this technique? I guess this learning experience has not been a complete failure.

Quote:

I don't know about live view but I agree about the tripod...but hey maybe that is what I need to use.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely. I like best the first two.
For the 3rd, i need to view it large, but beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Personally I guesstimate range and use small apertures if possible, to cover any inaccuracies.

This is my method too, it works quite well, I pre-set the f-stop to 5.6, if the subject is 3m away, I turn the focus ring to 3m and shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

This is my method too, it works quite well, I pre-set the f-stop to 5.6, if the subject is 3m away, I turn the focus ring to 3m and shoot.

I agree, that's the way we used to do it on cameras with no focusing aids. I remember some of the compacts like the Trip had a couple of distances marked in red on the focus ring. A near one and a distance one. I always got good sharp pics that way, we weren't 'pixel peeping' then.

This thread has inspired me to mark my Zuiko 28mm with near and far markings, as someone said; focusing is difficult with a short lens.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the focus or aperture is moving with a light tap the service is required. I like the tripod and timer method with a cable release if critical focusing is required but for a walkabout it is too much trouble. Nice ones Mo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots mo, especially with a dicky aperture

patrickh