Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Soligor 50mm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Auto Soligor 50mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

I've been collecting Soligors for a while now, so thought it time I put some of them through their paces. Today I took out the rather hard to find Soligor 50/1.8 prime lens, which presumably was sold with the Soligor SLR series of cameras.

Here's the lens:

And here are some example photos, all of which can be clicked on for my preferred enlarged 1500x1000 image size.

Some shots from a walk today (all f/4 or f/5.6). Note, there were a lot of hills, I'm bad at horizons, but not that bad Laughing:

Here's some from last night. Sorry about the image quality, but such was the light, I was required to shoot at f/1.8 @ ISO 3200 pushed by 2/3rds of a stop = about ISO 5000 Shocked On a camera with a maximum native ISO of 1600 Laughing

Now, last night I was seriously impressed by this lens. It is very sharp at f/1.8 and produced decent contrast. Outdoors, however, the lens struggles without a hood (I forgot to take one Rolling Eyes ). For all my walk shots today, I needed to boost contrast. I'm not used to doing that, but it seems to have worked OK. I will post some crops tomorrow to show corner performance.

Overall, pretty pleased at this stage!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens under the Miranda brand in M42 mount (not M44). I bought it because I thought it would be the same optically as the Miranda bayonet 50mm f1,8 lens, which is a great lens, and would be useable on more than m4/3. But I haven't got round to comparing the two yet.

I always use a hood with the bayonet version and find a slight levels tweak is still necessary, but that is not unusual.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks the same as the Miranda lens to me, which is a very good performer.

Most of the Miranda lenses seem to have a Soligor branded M42 counterpart.

Hint - look for the Soligor 2.8/28 that is the same as the Miranda one as the Miranda is an excellent lens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgetting a lens hood is like forgetting your trousers; you simply should never do it! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Soligor 50mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I've been collecting Soligors for a while now, so thought it time I put some of them through their paces. Today I took out the rather hard to find Soligor 50/1.8 prime lens, which presumably was sold with the Soligor SLR series of cameras.
(snip)

Now, last night I was seriously impressed by this lens. It is very sharp at f/1.8 and produced decent contrast. Outdoors, however, the lens struggles without a hood (I forgot to take one Rolling Eyes ). For all my walk shots today, I needed to boost contrast. I'm not used to doing that, but it seems to have worked OK. I will post some crops tomorrow to show corner performance.

Overall, pretty pleased at this stage!

I've always loved the Miranda lenses (I used them for about 30 years!), and I agree they're very sharp, though I generally preferred the f1.9 over the f1.8 - maybe because I had one first, and maybe because the 49mm filter thread matched the filters I had accumulated and I wasn't prepared to carry a second set around with me. The 135mm f2.8 were also extremely sharp, particularly the later ones with the green writing and built-in lens hood. I mostly used the Mirandas for colour slides and the odd 20x30 print and I was rarely disappointed (provided I got the exposures right!)

I don't use them so much nowadays, except the Miranda Focabell with the Soligor short-barrel 135mm telephoto here:

which still does an excellent job in extreme macro (5:1!! The eye of the needle is about 1mm long)