Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

At Surprise View with Kodak Gold 200 and a Broken Zenit E
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: At Surprise View with Kodak Gold 200 and a Broken Zenit E Reply with quote

The final film from our trip to the Lakes last week finally convinced me that the shutter on the Zenit E was not moving at a constant speed. As this is Zenit body number 6 with a problem, I may turn my back on Russian SLRs and use my M42 lenses on the Praktica Nova from now on.

All taken with the Helios 44M f2 58mm lens and all shots have been quite heavily (for me) edited for corrections to light and contrast. These are the only shots usable from the 36 frame roll.

Linda Surprised by the view by skida, on Flickr

The entrance to Borrowdale by skida, on Flickr

The Lodore Falls Hotel by skida, on Flickr

Treading carefully by skida, on Flickr

Skiddaw by skida by skida, on Flickr

River Derwent enters Derwentwater by skida, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best C41 result on long distance shoots what I ever seen! congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good well done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, if these are the only usable frames then I can only guess your standards are very high. Because if the other frames are a little worse than this, they'll still be excellent. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 maybe more sharpening than needed but quality & pop very good

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give you an idea of what I started with here is the untouched version of the last shot (thank you Kodak for producing a film that allowed me to recover so much detail):

Before the edit by skida, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great comments folks. These were recoverable (even though I overexposed them, not the camera's fault), but the others had bands of very overexposed areas where I believe the shutter curtain had slowed down during its travel. These shots were overexposed because I had inadvertently knocked the A/M switch to A when taking the camera out of the bag.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi poilu, I haven't sharpened these and I don't know if the lab's scanner has autosharpening, but when I look full size in Flickr, I can't see any artifacts on the hard edges were the mountains meet the sky. The water on the lake was displaying strange patterns due to the high winds.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Hi poilu, I haven't sharpened these and I don't know if the lab's scanner has autosharpening, but when I look full size in Flickr, I can't see any artifacts on the hard edges were the mountains meet the sky. The water on the lake was displaying strange patterns due to the high winds.

indeed, I checked the full size, must be the resizing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the color rendition. Number 5 is my favorite, superb colors.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David, but I would give most credit to Kodak and the KMZ lens factory for the colours. I just saw it, shot it and then edited for overexposure. Laughing