Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Article on Tomioka and their industrial lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_tibbs2004 wrote:

Not to get further off topic, but how did you adapt these? I just recently started to play with macro and would love to try these enlarger lenses. I'm sure this has been discussed before so sorry in advance.

All of the E36, E66 and E90 lenses do have a standard LTM/M39 thread, which is really simple to adapt if you already have a setup for M42 lenses - just one more M39 to M42 ring. If you mount them in reverse you either need to use the filter thread (sizes vary, but the E36 and E90 lenses generally have a 37.5x.0.5 mm one, which you can find some step rings for if you look around. I tend to adapt them via their M39 thread as well, because it works with all of them.

Here's an example using the metal tubes they were used with in their original application:

and here's how it looks like on the bellows:

Same thing could also be achieved with an M58 helicoid though. I like to use those metal tubes, because I know they were designed for the these specific lenses but everything that's not highly reflective should work reasonably well.

For high-magnification macros it's best to mount shorter focal length enlarging lenses onto a suitable tube lens. That's what I've done with most of my shots made with the Copal-E18C lenses and some of the Copal-E36 48 mm ones. The nice coincidence (or production related reason, who knows...) that the former fit on the threads of the longer E36 and E90 lenses motivated me explore them further:

Stacking some T‘s (Tomiokas) by simple.joy, on Flickr

but generally there are lots of good tube lenses, most of them not very expensive. I'd encourage you to take a look at Robert OTooles great articles and reviews on the matter: https://www.closeuphotography.com/tube-lenses

You can get really close this way (depending on the setup and focal length of the reversed lens on the front) and still get more than reasonable quality across a full frame sensor (which is harder with most microscope objectives):

Screw you! I won't get closer... by simple.joy, on Flickr

Strong rubber bonds by simple.joy, on Flickr

Please hold the line, color! by simple.joy, on Flickr

Meet my better half! by simple.joy, on Flickr

While I found some of the Tomioka made lenses among the best out there in terms of sharpness and correction, you can get excellent results with a good number of enlarging lenses this way. Let me know if you want some specific recommendations or have questions about the ones you already have at your disposal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images! I tried to remove the fixed aperture of my E36 but without success because the screws are very flat and strongly tightened.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Great images! I tried to remove the fixed aperture of my E36 but without success because the screws are very flat and strongly tightened.

Thank you! I'm sorry to hear it's not possible with your lens. I seem to recall that some lenses don't have those screws... of course they can be a problem, if they don't move. Are you able to remove the front group of the lens as well?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Thank you! I'm sorry to hear it's not possible with your lens. I seem to recall that some lenses don't have those screws... of course they can be a problem, if they don't move. Are you able to remove the front group of the lens as well?

I will bring it to my local repair guy. I’m sure he has the right tools and skills to do it.