Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Argus SLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Argus SLR Reply with quote

So here's a nice camera bought from a charity shop. The Argus SLR with 58mm f1.7 Argus Sekor lens. Plus an M42 adapter and a Galaxy 35mm, f3.5 lens with T mount.

the camera a fires well on all speeds in good cosmetic condition and is nice to hold. I noticed from Mike Butkus's manual that the self timer lever is missing. It fires well though.

So I'm seeing Sekor on the lens which brings to mind Mamiya, and Petri on the flash shoe mount.

Whats the heritage here??

And whats the lens mount?

And what are these lenses like?- well the Argus one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice camera.

See this page:
https://sites.google.com/site/casualcollectorproject/Home/argus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those mamiya/argus SLRs, but unfortunately it is broken. It does not look or feel as high quality as the later Mamiya SLRs like the TL and DTL series.

The Galaxy lens looks like it might be a late version of the Kyoei 3.5/35 lens, it's more interesting than the rest of the lot really.

The Sekor lens was also available in M42, but is uncommon to find. The Argus version has its own mount that no other camera uses.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I have one of those mamiya/argus SLRs, but unfortunately it is broken. It does not look or feel as high quality as the later Mamiya SLRs like the TL and DTL series.

so you wont be needing the self timer button...

Mos6502 wrote:
The Galaxy lens looks like it might be a late version of the Kyoei 3.5/35 lens, it's more interesting than the rest of the lot really.

I assumed the 35mm was a Prinz Galaxy lens (brand name of Dixons in the UK) so what makes this cheap looking old lens up so interesting? Apart from being able to use it on my Minolta, Nikon and NEX.

Mos6502 wrote:
The Sekor lens was also available in M42, but is uncommon to find. The Argus version has its own mount that no other camera uses.

Own mount I was thinking that, its like nothing I've seen before. But is it Argus's own or is it shared with Mamiya?

I was thinking perhaps the M42 adapter may be the most interesting/valuable bit here!!

So whats...... oh hang on I'd better look at this, It may answer my question.

dof wrote:
Nice camera.

See this page:
https://sites.google.com/site/casualcollectorproject/Home/argus

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That M42 adapter will come in handy, as I doubt you'll find any lenses to fit.

Nice selection of uncommon items, congrats.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://savazzi.freehostia.com/photography/35kyoei.html

The Kyoei 35 is well known for its usefulness in infrared photography. Otherwise I guess it really isn't that interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
http://savazzi.freehostia.com/photography/35kyoei.html

The Kyoei 35 is well known for its usefulness in infrared photography. Otherwise I guess it really isn't that interesting.

ultraviolet. All old lenses are interesting, now we know more about them, the history, the makers and how good they actually are even 'own brand' lenses have a fascination.

To a certain type of person!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's easy to walk away from this type of camera, we see it and think it's a cheap and worthless thing just because it was a cheap and cheerful camera back in the day. But the truth is, someone had to make and sell those cameras to the retailers. Sometimes they were silk purses.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Petri shoe mount is an add-on that would not have been made for this camera specifically. These things just tended to have been made to a de-facto standard and they fit on a wide range of equipment. I have similar things from Ricoh and Mamiya that fit Pentax SV and Spotmatic and vice versa. I even have some Exakta viewfinder magnifiers that work on Pentax, Ricoh, Mamiya, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on a minute, how did I miss the Prinz Galaxy 35 / 3.5 ? Rolling Eyes

I'm sorry Phil, but that has to be the worst lens ever made by anyone, anywhere and any time! Laughing Absolutely appalling, right until the moment it fell apart in my hands. I did try to repair it, but the superglue dissolved the plastic. Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Hold on a minute, how did I miss the Prinz Galaxy 35 / 3.5 ? Rolling Eyes

I'm sorry Phil, but that has to be the worst lens ever made by anyone, anywhere and any time! Laughing Absolutely appalling, right until the moment it fell apart in my hands. I did try to repair it, but the superglue dissolved the plastic. Shocked

That sounds like a challenge. I'll give it a go this weekend.

Oh BTW I saw a Prinz Galaxy 35 attached to a Zorki 4, presumably via a m39 T mount, in Afflecks Palace. The guy wanted £60 for the combo. I tried to explain it wouldnt work but he swore he'd used the cam & lens for years with no problems. He told me Russian lenses like the Prinz Galaxy were well sought after as they are very sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call my attention the indiference which is seen the mamiya lens.

It is a 85 mm lens. Begining from that, the lens is interesting.

The aperture max. is F1,7. Nice again.

Anybody knows the lens rendering?

Mamiya lenses are known for the good IQ - some made by tokina, and very good ones like the TL/DTL 135/2,8.

The SX 85 mm has a good fame, and the mamiya lenses for the rollei sl 35/E/M, made by mamiya, are very good too.

My 2 cts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Call my attention the indiference which is seen the mamiya lens.

It is a 85 mm lens. Begining from that, the lens is interesting.

The aperture max. is F1,7. Nice again.

Anybody knows the lens rendering?

Mamiya lenses are known for the good IQ - some made by tokina, and very good ones like the TL/DTL 135/2,8.

The SX 85 mm has a good fame, and the mamiya lenses for the rollei sl 35/E/M, made by mamiya, are very good too.

My 2 cts.

It's a 58mm lens rather than 85mm, and the Sekor lens was made by Sekor so far as I know.
Somebody has a set of photos taken with this camera and lens on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinafasbro/sets/72157626401737169/with/5631800545/