Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

APO Rodagon N 2.8/50mm on Sony NEX 7 via VNEX Focus-System
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to your system!

I must be doing something wrong, if I use enlarger lenses, I use a commercially available M42 focusing helicoid of suitable extension range plus adapters to camera and lens(es), in case of M39 (Leica thready mount) enlarger lenses, it is a simple ring. In most cases no machining is needed at all, except for some exotic lens threads. What am I doing wrong?

http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.de/2011/01/how-to-determine-length-of-focusing.html

(the enlarger lens, a EL-Nikkor 3.5/63mm in that example, has a front adapter ring to M52 added, as I have standardized all my filters to M52)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Congrats to your system!

I must be doing something wrong, if I use enlarger lenses, I use a commercially available M42 focusing helicoid of suitable extension range plus adapters to camera and lens(es), in case of M39 (Leica thready mount) enlarger lenses, it is a simple ring. In most cases no machining is needed at all, except for some exotic lens threads. What am I doing wrong?

Dont know?.. for a DSLR project.. its fine.. whats the maximum extension and the nearest close focus distance with the EL Nikkor?

But the difference is in using the VNEX as a compact unit for the NEX camera system. With the rings and adapterplates you can prepare your lenses - no matter of they are M25/M27/M30 or M32.5 in thread diameter.. and convert them to VNEX M39 Focusing modul.

Its a compact and simple way.. each lens can get her own plate and distance ring (6-9-12 mm or any combined value) and simple changed by screwing the adjusted lens to the Helicoid. ..

Novoflex Staeble Katagon 4/60mm..

So you can simply change the lens head an everything works fine without determining each time the new position for infinity in cascaded helicoid-System..

Its going to be as simple as screw in a M42 lens in an adaptor..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose you have a CAD model of the design that you would be willing to share? Smile
I have access to an additive manufacturing facility (somewhat), and it would cool if you would let me test and make one additively out of plastic, or titanium. Although the titanium design would probably be too rough without serious post processing and would only serve to scratch the lens. But I completely understand if you want to hold on to it for patent/monetary reasons since you obviously put alot of effort planning, designing and creating these pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Congrats to your system!

Dont know?.. for a DSLR project.. its fine.. whats the maximum extension and the nearest close focus distance with the EL Nikkor?

But the difference is in using the VNEX as a compact unit for the NEX camera system. With the rings and adapterplates you can prepare your lenses - no matter of they are M25/M27/M30 or M32.5 in thread diameter.. and convert them to VNEX M39 Focusing modul.

Its a compact and simple way.. each lens can get her own plate and distance ring (6-9-12 mm or any combined value) and simple changed by screwing the adjusted lens to the Helicoid. ..
So you can simply change the lens head an everything works fine without determining each time the new position for infinity in cascaded helicoid-System..

Its going to be as simple as screw in a M42 lens in an adaptor..

Cheers
Henry

Henry,

I use the same method for DSLR's, Pansonic Lumix, whatever camera as basically only the camera adapter needs to be changed to adjust for the needed register distance. For the EL-Nikkor example closest focusing is about 20cm, furthest is infinity. What I see in your design is the benefit of just having to change the lens holding ring and the rest stays the same, but that also means that for a short focal lens as compared to a long one, your focusing range changes massively (very large for short focal lenses and very short focusing range for long focal lengths) as thís is simply the law of optics. Take a 28mm enlarger lens for example and a 150mm - at 1:1 the 28mm lens needs 56mm from lens center (roughly) to sensor, wheras the 150mm needs 300mm to also reach 1:1. This may not be your application, but for my work this is essential. Also a rotating lens front is hard to work with (for me), as often you cannot read the aperture setting. My solution hence is non-rotating.

But don't get me wrong here, I simply chose a different approach as you, since I wanted to use in as much as possible available parts. Basically we both do the same! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Henry,

I use the same method for DSLR's, Pansonic Lumix..

But don't get me wrong here, I simply chose a different approach as you, since I wanted to use in as much as possible available parts. Basically we both do the same! Very Happy

Klaus,

i know your described physical details.. Very Happy

Thats why the VNEX is called also a modular system.. for the wide-angle lenses like the componon 4/28mm we do use a different INLAY Tube with a length of 12.5mm and different thread pitch.. in german "ein achtgängiges Gewinde" oder eine flache, normale M39 x 1 Gewindesteigung..

These tubes are similar to the conversion plates for M25/M27/M30 or M32.5 .. but have a long thread for that. it will be available after the next run of producing optional components..

There are lots of other ideas and tools we are thinking about to complete the System for lots of other interesting things.. like that..

This is an old Tele Xenar 2.8/75mm from an irreparable Baldax from 1938.. shutter defective becaus of some defective thoot wheels..
the repairshop i got this cam from give up to find parts for that old cam..

But the lens got a new life.. Very Happy

And so you can do a lot of new experimental things.. another reason why i developed the system for my needs..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting and cool thing Cool thing you can use is the retro ring for enlarger lenses with a filter thread of 40,5mm (EL Nikkor, APO Rodagon etc..).

1. You can use the macro extension tube as a provisorical lens hood.. ugly but works perfect..

Thats great, because only changing the mounting direction.. you are able to make macros greater then reproduction scale of 1:1.. Very Happy

(Durst Neonon 2.8/50mm)

There are a lots of small details in the System which makes some things easier..

But i think, we have to rename the Thread-Titel to.. VNEX Introducion... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks excellent to me, got quite a few enlarging lenses knocking around including a 100/4 Rokkor bellows lens which I'd love to try out.
Thanks for the info Henry, am in 'discussion' with my wife lol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Vincent to me Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
Looks like a Vincent to me Smile

Thanks,

For me, i will rename the lens from 1938 to "Vincent Schneider".. Very Happy

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He He

Now I want to see a Matisse Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
He He

Now I want to see a Matisse Smile

No problem anyway.. did already post this pic in another thread..

Canon SH 1.7/30mm on NEX 7 @ f1.7

This lens now is renamed to "Matisse 1.7" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Its really like a painting..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henri Matisse

Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nisseliten wrote:
Very nice results!

Thanks.. it makes a lot of fun, showing these results..

Or another one with the Canon SH 1.7... ?

These are all experimental things.. with the VNEX and some other workarounds..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took this with what I think was a boyer paris enlarger lens from the turn of the last century. Free-handed with no helicoid or bellows.
They do make interesting photos.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you can do also "normal" pictures with the Canon SH 1.7/30mm..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nisseliten wrote:
I took this with what I think was a boyer paris enlarger lens from the turn of the last century. Free-handed with no helicoid or bellows.
They do make interesting photos.

Nice result from such an old lens..

@to a moderator..

maybe its possible to split the thread to a new one for that kind of photographs?

Thanks
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been over to Henrys Forum to look for myself and from the links he provided followed further links from within the threads and I must say there are some very impressive photos over there, the other thing to remember is besides the obvious of these lenses getting a new life is the fun to be had exploring their possibilities for the cost of a pint of beer. to be honest I don't care what the lenses were designed for, only finding out what they can be capable of. I'm trying to persuade my good wife to spare me the funds to purchase a set from Henry as my buying funds have been put on hold until I sell some of my equipment Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nisseliten wrote:
I don't suppose you have a CAD model of the design that you would be willing to share? Smile

And then have somebody else perhaps market it and sell Henry's design? C'mon...

Nisseliten wrote:
But I completely understand if you want to hold on to it for patent/monetary reasons since you obviously put alot of effort planning, designing and creating these pieces.

I know how much effort and work Henry has put into that system. Nice that you acknowledge that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:

Hmm, how dare you take such a beautiful, amazing picture with an enlarger lens, don't you know they are inferior taking lenses?

Keep making visual examples like this and you'll destroy people's credibility if they disagree.

You should have used a Leica lens BTW. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we can talk about the VNEX here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1274148.html#1274148
And keep it on-topic!

(locked again)