Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone replaced electrolytic capacitors to a 70-s SLR?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Anyone replaced electrolytic capacitors to a 70-s SLR? Reply with quote

I have this 1 € Japanese SLR with defect shutter: mechanical things work and also metering. But the solenoid that controls the latter curtain just doesn't work properly.

This is my deduction, I don't have the equipment to actually test the circuitry: Electrolytic capacitors from the 70's and 80's are notorious for their aging. And since the circuitry is only 3 volts the solenoid must use some capacitor. So if I change all the capacitors (ok - that is not very easy because they might be all around the camera).

Any ideas / comments?

(just throw it away is not a new idea, I figured that out myself)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone replaced electrolytic capacitors to a 70-s SLR? Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
And since the circuitry is only 3 volts the solenoid must use some capacitor. So if I change all the capacitors (ok - that is not very easy because they might be all around the camera).

I don't understand your logic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say the make of the camera. This is a very common problem with Minolta X models. These have two capacitors, one in the rewind crank area under the top cover, and the other easily accessible inside the baseplate. There's plenty of info on the web. For instance
http://twid.de/x700/#fixc

You can buy replacement Minolta memory capacitors from Micro Tools, but they don't look the same, so I'm not sure if they'll help in your case.
http://www.micro-tools.de/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Eng&Product_Code=9581-4798-31