Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

anybody here a lens modder?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: anybody here a lens modder? Reply with quote

After reading some threads about people dissecting lenses. I was wondering if anybody here can mod lens bodies? such as turning an automatic lenses totally manual. Or converting a lens mount into another lens mount. I know Duclos lenses does it but they are so expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody here a lens modder? Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
After reading some threads about people dissecting lenses. I was wondering if anybody here can mod lens bodies? such as turning an automatic lenses totally manual. Or converting a lens mount into another lens mount. I know Duclos lenses does it but they are so expensive.

Member Trifox do converting in UK , some member also in Germany. I have repair man who able to do it professionally, contact me for his email in pm. Do it only if no other way and lens is not rare at all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also Jim Buchanan he's on Fredmiranda's alt forum among others. And located in the US.
http://www.jimbuchananspace.com/Camera_Services.html

I want to some modding, but I don't have the required tools yet.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, any lens masters in Europe offering services to lenses? post your info here!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tinkering:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post more info about the 50 1.4?
I bought and disassembled one but it's pretty tough to do the conversion if you don't have the right tools. I hope to make it work on Eos cameras at least.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 50/1.4 is "chrome nose" FD, FD SSC or nFD?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nukemall wrote:

Mine is the new FD.

Last edited by ilguercio on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody here knows how to mod an RF lens to be used on an SLR?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha_M wrote:

Lens dependent , better and less costly to not ruin lens , rather buy proper lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Misha_M wrote:

Lens dependent , better and less costly to not ruin lens , rather buy proper lens.

I have a nice RF Jupiter-9 I would like to use on SLR... didn't know it was RF, and seller says she got it with a Zenit-3 camera...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha_M wrote:
Attila wrote:
Misha_M wrote:

I have a nice RF Jupiter-9 I would like to use on SLR... didn't know it was RF, and seller says she got it with a Zenit-3 camera...

Please show me some picture of lens! Usually you can sell it and buy M42 one for near same price.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilguercio wrote:
nukemall wrote:

The one from the last post before mine is new FD.

See here: http://www.bigeye.url.tw/big5/d_ca50_14_2.htm
(i'm doing conversion by the same way)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nukemall wrote:
ilguercio wrote:
nukemall wrote:

The one from the last post before mine is new FD.

See here: http://www.bigeye.url.tw/big5/d_ca50_14_2.htm
(i'm doing conversion by the same way)

Splendid mods there! Is Bigeye member of this forum?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a member ``Bigeyes``

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Misha_M wrote:
Attila wrote:
Misha_M wrote:

Please show me some picture of lens! Usually you can sell it and buy M42 one for near same price.

posted on another thread, but here you go...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390455075272?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody here a lens modder? Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:

I do some lens modifing as a hobby, not for earning money. I do it to get lenses I want Smile

Lens mount conversions:

Minolta SR mount to Canon EF adapter - lens need modification, but can be used on Minolta and Canon cameras afterwards (without iris automatic):

Experiments to integrate automatic Canon EF iris functionallity in manual lenses. Works well for macro, have done it with a defective Rodenstock Apo Rodagon as well:

Modification of Zeiss 18mm lens back end to work with EOS 5D:

Lens for stacking out of a lens without mount parts:

Helicoid for projection lens - I love projection lenses:

DIY Bokeh modification - had the need to try all the bokeh altering possibilies I know. And to make cheap alternative lenses to the Minolta STF 135mm lense here:

Modification of Sigma YS 135mm lens to get different bokeh rendering - spherical abberation ~ like in the Nikon DC lenses:

Sometimes I take only hot glue for modifications, sometimes I make special parts on mini lathe and mill to get the first 100% reversible (no additional holes in FD parts) high end FD-EF mount conversions of different lenses. I love the lathe for these work, cause with that I could make very exact low tolerance parts. For example I made a manual thin extension tube. The two parts are glued together. But I could mount a 2.3 kg Canon FD 300mm f/2.8 super tele lens on this on a camera - and hold the combination on the camera Smile
Even no problem when holding it horiziontaly - only the camera in the hand.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've modded 2 Zuikos and an Oly fit zoom to Nikon. using the leitax page as a guide to disassembly and making my own mount. I managed to convert a cheapo 135 f2,8 in m42 to nikon too. I'm no engineer so its all filing, drilling and gluing for me.

I took the optics from an old helios (with knackered stopdown ring) out of the helicoid and now use it for focusing lenses instead of my bellows.

I Ai converted an old nikkor in the 80's. I wish I still had it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody here a lens modder? Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
I do some lens modifing as a hobby...

Wonderful! I am impressed Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tied up at the moment....

(both with SK 2/75mm)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done one serious lens mod so far: CZJ Sonnar 180/2.8 to Pentax 67 mount:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68874194@N06/sets/72157629565222860/

fr_35_size880 by rawhead_tech, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody here a lens modder? Reply with quote

twinquartz wrote:
ZoneV wrote:
I do some lens modifing as a hobby...

Wonderful! I am impressed Smile

Thank you!
Sometimes I impressed by my own work too - how did I find the time for such time demanding work.

JohnBar wrote:
I'm tied up at the moment....

(both with SK 2/75mm)..

Cine projection lens? Would be nice too see the lens!