Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any Strobists Here?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Any Strobists Here? Reply with quote

As the title says. I enjoy all forms of photography (except modeling photography when the models don't show) and shoot many things, but the Strobist movement caught my interest as you create your own light rather than using the available.

It's a subject that rarely crops up here, so I ask: anyone else into off-camera flash techniques?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gave up strobism as a young man. (sorry; couldn't resist.) Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From time to time, as long as i have a few hours available (small flat, cannot have my setup up and running all the time) ... Like to play with reflectors, transparencies and the like.
Unluckily, it doesn't happen every weekend to have a bit more spare time Crying or Very sad ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do quite a bit of it, but not for many years. Currently the only way I can is with film cameras, but haven't had any reason to do any for quite some time.

I didn't get way off into complex setups the way some folks do. Usually just a couple of strobes, one PC-synced to my camera and the other using a slave sync, both shot through umbrellas or light boxes. Strobes set to manual settings, and I'd adjust output according to their relative distance to the subject and the effect I wanted. I would determine exposure using my Gossen Luna Pro F. The Strobes I used most often were pretty old school -- Metz 60 CT-1 and Braun F900. Sometimes for front fill I might use a Vivitar 285 mounted on or near the camera.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Available light is any light available, which includes flash if you have them in your bag Laughing

Jokes aside, I make about 50-60% of my photography income from shots set up with 2 (sometimes 4) small, portable flashes triggered wirelessly.

Studio lights are for studios, but I could never carry them around for what I do: 90% is shot on location. Those small portable flashes carry enough punch to light up a pitch-black swimming stadium once you learn to start playing pool with the lightbeams. More importantly, they're potent enough to wash out most indoor light, which normally consists of 3-4 different color temperatures.

Custom modified color profiles loaded into camera plus portable wireless flash. Praise to Japanese engineers and programmers who save me from spending hours in post-processing masking multiple layers with unique white balance settings, doing focus stacking or color adjustments... just 5min of setting things up and I'm on the job; getting the color I want, not what was available.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is really a movement:
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/02/welcome-to-strobist.html
Shocked

I googled "cheap flash". Tried to recommend yio yao or smth that costs about $ 30 and has slave and manual control.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Hobby is highly regarded, even Joe McNally gives him credit. And I'd have to agree, Strobist is one of the most useful sites for flash photographers on the net.

I love shooting with strobes. As Vilhelm said, small flashes go a long way if just learn to use them!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My flash count is currently threatening my 50mm lens count. I use Viv 285, Nikon SB-28s and a Canon 580exii. Al triggered with Skyports & slave units. Numerous modifiers & gels.

I like it but I don't do as much as I'd like to. I was part of a local Strobist group but unfortunately it went pear-shaped as it was always the same location, same models & photogs. I may start my own group up and see what occurs. And shoot something other than just models (yawn!).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My strobist stuff. I have two light tripod too.

An exemple

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Fernando.

I have seen grids like yours made from plastic straws which is what I guess yours is. Have you any examples of its use? I have a snoot that I was thinking of loading with straws but I'm not sure if the effect is too harsh.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a more boring approach, to my defence I may say I got one SB-800 for free and the rest is purchased used.

2 Nikon SB-800, 2 minitripods, 4 bouncers, 2 strobe packs, velcro straps and 1 Nikon SU-800 wireless flash controller fit nicely in a small Underwater Kinetics case. I carry these around a lot which explains the overkill protective case. Manfrotto 175F spring clamps travel as well, though they go in my camera bag.

The only thing I want to solve is how to charge the set - I need a total of 22 (yes, twenty-two) 2700 mAh rechargeable AA batteries, but the only chargers I have found charge only 4 batteries at a time. That means 6 chargers and 6 sets of 4 batteries - half a dozen electrical outlets and wires Sad

Alkalines aren't an option, too environmentally unsound and expensive in the long run.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,
Here is a link that explains how to do the grid. Take a look at the part two in the end of the article.
http://lightingmods.blogspot.com/2007/06/diy-black-straws-snoot-grid-part-1.html

http://lightingmods.blogspot.com/2007/11/diy-gridsnoot-template-pdf-files.html

I suggest you to take a look at http://strobist.blogspot.com. You will find a lot of tips.

x lucius,
you have the dream gear of every one. Congratulations!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

The only thing I want to solve is how to charge the set - I need a total of 22 (yes, twenty-two) 2700 mAh rechargeable AA batteries, but the only chargers I have found charge only 4 batteries at a time. That means 6 chargers and 6 sets of 4 batteries - half a dozen electrical outlets and wires :(

I've pondered the same, and seems like the only option is to get a Maha Powerex charger for eight cells - ie. one of these:

Maha Powerex MH-C808M
Maha Powerex MH-C801D
Maha Powerex MH-C800S

PS. I'll call you later on today :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FernandoB12 wrote:
My strobist stuff. I have two light tripod too.

Looks like my gear ...

For your burned Metz, there is a to fix. I had the same problem with my metz 32. The lens can be removed and cleaned quite easily.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
The only thing I want to solve is how to charge the set

Take the DIY route ... SLA batteries and fake batteries (google for DIY SLA powerpack) will give you fast recycle times and long autonomy.

I've made mine with a ... Nesquick box (yeah, I'm cheap, I know) Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jieffe,
Great job. I am trying to clean the Metz lens right now...