Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux 45-90/2.8 R Lens Filter Size (W/Random Shots)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Angenieux 45-90/2.8 R Lens Filter Size (W/Random Shots) Reply with quote

Hi, All,

Anybody knows the lens filter for Angenieux 45-90/2.8 lens? I could find one source said it uses Serie VIII filter. But it's a drop-in filter. The lens has a screw-in hood, ABOUT in 64mm diameter, it's not a common size for screw-in filter.
Thanks!

Last edited by cellotone on Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:53 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica makes drop-in filter for this lens but I think you may be able to use Series VIII filter make by the others?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Leica makes drop-in filter for this lens but I think you may be able to use Series VIII filter make by the others?

Thanks calvin83. I purchased a Leica Serie VIII filter, but doesn't include the retaining ring. Hope it doesn't need the ring.

Last edited by cellotone on Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cellotone wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Thanks calvin83. I purchased a Leica Series VIII filter, but doesn't include the retaining ring. Hope it doesn't need the ring.

If my memory is correct, the hood comes with the lens also acts as a retaining ring.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
cellotone wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Thanks calvin83. I purchased a Leica Series VIII filter, but doesn't include the retaining ring. Hope it doesn't need the ring.

If my memory is correct, the hood comes with the lens also acts as a retaining ring.

Great! I will post here to let people know about the filter for the lens and whether it needs a ring when I receive the filter. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some random shots with this lens and Sony A7R

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good result I would say from an old fast zoom designed in the last 1960s. The bokeh looks quiet creamy too. I should dig up my Angenieux primes when I upgrade my camera.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

March 1,

colvin83 wrote: "If my memory is correct, the hood comes with the lens also acts as a retaining ring."

colvin83 is right. The serie VIII filter perfectly fits onto the Angenieux 45-90/2.8 lens front filter thread, and the hood also acts as a retaining ring. So no retaining ring needed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: 35-70 Reply with quote

It has been mentioned here before, but the later Angenieux 35-70 is also quite good, although my copy is not entirely parfocal.

Mine has a Leica R mount, but as far as i have found out, not with the explicit blessing of Wetzlar and in their catalogue like the earlier one. On the other hand, that is rather strange, since lens mounts were usually fiercely guarded by their originators. I thought that the time limit for legal imitation of the R-mount did not expire that early.

p.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear the hood does the job as a retaining ring. Congrats

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 35-70 Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
It has been mentioned here before, but the later Angenieux 35-70 is also quite good, although my copy is not entirely parfocal.

Mine has a Leica R mount, but as far as i have found out, not with the explicit blessing of Wetzlar and in their catalogue like the earlier one. On the other hand, that is rather strange, since lens mounts were usually fiercely guarded by their originators. I thought that the time limit for legal imitation of the R-mount did not expire that early.

p.

"Made in France for Leitz Leicaflex" was engraved onto the older 45-90mm. This lens was exclusively made for Leica.
Leitz did buy some lenses from suplliers: 16mm Fisheye & longer Zooms (& Leica CL!) from Minolta, 21mm Superangulons & 35 PC Curtagon by Schneider, and as far I know not only 15mm Hologon but also 15mm Elmarit R from Zeiss/Contax.

In R4 aera cooperation with Minolta got more closely and wide zooms were also made by Minolta, one serious reason is price for sure.

Angenieux 2x35 & 3x70 (their official names) were made in several mounts like Nikon, Leica R and others.
Shell was made by carbonmaterial, not metal. High-tech in it's time, but felt a bit cheapyer than metal.
I don't know the deadline for legal imitation of the R-mount, but mention there were other aka Tamron & others too using this mount too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: angenieux Reply with quote

Tamron and others were made with R bayonet, yes, but the Angenieux 35-70 dates from 1983, that is "R4s-time" when Leitz cooperated with Minolta.

I assume that the mount was licenced to Angenieux since the Leitz co had severe economic difficulties at the time.

p.