Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An Unreliable Lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: An Unreliable Lens? Reply with quote

I've had a Tair 11A for almost 3 years now and still can't seem to work through the apparent IQ quirkiness. Sometimes it produces some of the most incredible images but other times the shots are just appalling (total washout but not overexposed, very very low contrast, and a heavy green tone are the most common). I don't know exactly what is causing the problem; there is no constant factor that would cause it to go from good to bad or visa-versa (except me of course - which I'm almost certain it is). I would invariably say it is a bad copy but that can't explain away the good images. The problem it not aperture dependent - I have got similar problems across the board from f2.8-22. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance

~Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: An Unreliable Lens? Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I've had a Tair 11A for almost 3 years now and still can't seem to work through the apparent IQ quirkiness. Sometimes it produces some of the most incredible images but other times the shots are just appalling (total washout but not overexposed, very very low contrast, and a heavy green tone are the most common). I don't know exactly what is causing the problem; there is no constant factor that would cause it to go from good to bad or visa-versa (except me of course - which I'm almost certain it is). I would invariably say it is a bad copy but that can't explain away the good images. The problem it not aperture dependent - I have got similar problems across the board from f2.8-22. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance

~Marc

It sounds like internal flare from the blades, but then that wouldn't happen at 2.8...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly sunlight (or other light) hitting the lens? Blades or no blades, that will cause flare in the lens and loss of contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you can try using a hood consistently?

I notice that the mir-1v and jupiter-9 are both quite flare prone and suffer huge loss of contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does have a built-in hood which I always pull out, maybe it is not substantial enough?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't generally use a hood, but with a flarey lens follow 2 rules: (1) don't have a light source in the image, and (2) stand in the shade. It usually works pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seem to be very abstract question. The blades close all the time to correct F/ ? Pics in backlight ? Use hood?

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it stops down correctly. It is preset, there is no oil on the 20 blades and they are smooth as butter. I imagine in some cases back-lighting could be an issue but I've had pics come out with the same problems despite intentionally staying out of that situation. And like I've said before, I always pull out the built-in but maybe I'll try a bigger screw-in type. I have a number of 55mm hoods so I'll give that a shot. Thanks

~Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesant. If you want, can you send some pics with the problem.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar bad filter problem some months ago. It was really surprising how much it degraded the image.

If a lens seems particularly off, its worth trying it without the filter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, could be a fliter, internal flaring or even a loose element that only sometimes sits in place.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I insist: If we can see images and lens (delictive's body), it seem to me that could be better.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just on film or on digital - full frame lenses on crop sensors ideally need a longer hood than they do on fullframe/film...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the lens just on a film camera. I used to use UV filters in the past, but not in while, so I'm almost certain problems occurred without one.

Unfortunately I'm currently at school so I'm not close to any of my scanning equipment. Maybe in the next few days I'll be able to go home and retrieve some prints to show everyone. Thanks

I actually have pictures of the lens on my flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10403737@N03/2173877630/in/set-72157603651363714/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10403737@N03/2173090219/in/set-72157603651363714/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10403737@N03/2173089407/in/set-72157603651363714/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10403737@N03/2173086145/in/set-72157603651363714/

~Marc