Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AF confirm adapters really work?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: AF confirm adapters really work? Reply with quote

I have been told by a few people that AF confirm adapters are inaccurate and harmful to use on your camera. Others say they help focus quite a bit. Right now I use cheap chipless adapters. Would it be worth getting a chipped adapter? I still struggle with my hit rate on my faster lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find them "spotty" - although on the whole I would rather have one than not. On the Canon the problem really comes if you are using the chip for exposure as well, and that is definitely inaccurate.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried chip adapter for a long time, bought a few different types (mine were m42-canon adapters) from different sellers. In general they didn't really help - I found that with the fast glass, the adapters were making me front-focus more often for some strange reason.

Now I just use the plain metal no chip adapter, use focusing screen, and practice, practice, practice! Practice make my hit rate heighter and train your eye better. Even with new DSLR with smaller viewfinder, it possible to train eye to see focus snap better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: AF confirm adapters really work? Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
I have been told by a few people that AF confirm adapters are inaccurate and harmful to use on your camera.

At times it might not be accurate as it is designed to work within a certain range - tolerance. What do you mean by harmful to the camera? I have not hear nor read about this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benefit comes from exposure accuracy at least you do not have to
worry about EC all the time. Focus accuracy is iffy, if you have good eyes
and a good focusing screen, this is far better.

EC = Exposure Compensation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marginally helpful. No harm to my camera at present.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of those programmable dandelion chip, and I use it my canon 1KD.

Every time I take a shot, i keep looking out for the little red dot flicking on my view-finder and that light beep sound. I realize that I have mentally lost focus on taking my subject. Smile

IMO, the AF chip is a tool that assist us get close to sharp focusing. We still have to train our eyes to look through that little view-hole, and not to loose track of the subject.

Constraints are that it work ok with manual aperture setting of >F5.6, and need to compensate for over-exposure. Good if u are taking (bokeh) portraits.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Marginally helpful. No harm to my camera at present.

I am not sure about that in every case.
I have got (or rather "had", I have thrown it away) an adapter that caused a very high pitched sound in my EOS 350D. That did not sound good and I was afraid of destroying something. So I've never used it again.

And I often have the case that an AF adapter causes an ERR99 or ERR01.

I hardly use them nowadays...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Panasonic L1 - it has focus confirm built in on any lens - no need to use a 'chipped' adapter - and exposure is pretty accurate too.. Smile

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Get a Panasonic L1 - it has focus confirm built in on any lens - no need to use a 'chipped' adapter - and exposure is pretty accurate too.. Smile

Doug

And it's a nice and good looking cam.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed... and the standard 'kit' Vario-Elmar is no slouch for an AF lens either! Only sad thing is the rather dim viewfinder.. but I LOVE mine! Smile

Doug

LucisPictor wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:

Doug

And it's a nice and good looking cam.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:

I have been told by a few people that AF confirm adapters are inaccurate and harmful to use on your camera.

LucisPictor wrote:

And I often have the case that an AF adapter causes an ERR99 or ERR01.

Some people seem to have had problems while others don't, and this might be a case of a cheap/bad AF-confirm adapter sample, but as with LucisPictor's case, similar horror stories have been documented:

http://reviews.ebay.com/CAUTION-AF-Confirm-Nikon-Adapter-for-EOS-cameras_W0QQugidZ10000000002548592

I have understood that Canon cameras disable both visual and audible focus confirm if it sees a broken lens circuit. Nikon cameras lose the audio but still see visual since it is the sensor seeing the light and not the AF chip :)

Personally, I don't trust the confirm audio or visual anyway, since even with misaligned AF lenses the focus might be off and the camera would still fool you into thinking you've got it right - and only afterwards on your computer you would notice if's way off or back/front-focused. With my M42 lenses and the D80 body it's even more way off, so I just concentrate my eye and learn how each lens behaves with the trial&error way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an AF confirm adapter user. I have 3 and they're also the new programmable type.

I've had no problems with mine. A sample from my Tamron Adaptall SP 90mm macro - a superb lens by the way. In this shot, i had a 2x TC on as well.

Its the centre of a UK £2 coin

http://photo-sharing.winsoftmagic.com/cgi-bin/share.exe?CMD=FP&ID1=spny0jaj&PID=0y0d8v3g&FID=lzrymns4zt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, where did you buy your adapters? If from ebay, which vendor?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from big_is , good chap, no probs with this seller at all. Takes a while to get here from HK though, about 15 days.

I've now bought 3 off him without a hitch