Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice needed (50mm lens)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Advice needed (50mm lens) Reply with quote

Earlier I had a Canon 5D and a Zeiss 50mm F1.4 ZE. I loved the combination, but decided to try out other things and sold it. Now I really miss the quality of the Zeiss glass and thinking about buying an E-Mount camera. The only question is which Planar to get? I know that the more modern ZF/ZK/ZS should be fine but those are usually rather pricey and I could use Planars in other mounts with the right adapter. As far as I know the available options are:

Contax Planar 50mm f1.4
    Contax Planar 50mm f1.7
    Rollei HFT Planar 50mm F1.8
    Rollei HFT Planar 50mm F1.4
    Contax G Planar 45mm F2

Does all of them has some degree of 'Zeiss pop'? What about coatings on HFT Planars? Is it worse than T*?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For E mount or FE mount CY is probably easier than g to adapt:

I would go for the 1.7

https://web.archive.org/web/20010301083449%20/http://www.photodo.com:80/ Paste into a browser tab, Click on products then Contax.

There are also plenty of 1.7s on Ebay in Europe.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slalom wrote:
For E mount or FE mount CY is probably easier than g to adapt:

I would go for the 1.7

https://web.archive.org/web/20010301083449%20/http://www.photodo.com:80/ Paste into a browser tab, Click on products then Contax.

There are also plenty of 1.7s on Ebay in Europe.

Thanks for your response!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'G Planar' is very unique (45mm, bokeh transition) but the ergonomic adapters tend to be pricey.

The 50/1.7 C/Y is a classic but the minimal focus distance of 0.6m is kinda restrictive with FF's FOV.

The HFT 50/1.8 got nice bokeh, sharpness is a bit lower than 50/1.7 but at least the rubberized version got a horrible aging lube.

No first hand experience but I guess, the same point about the lube applies to HFT 50/1.4.

So I'd go for a 50/1.4 C/Y if you can find a sensible priced one...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollei HFT Planar 50mm F1.4 (Metal version)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a c/y 1.4/50 and two Rollei 1.8 planars. One with metal construction that has dry grease and a newer plastic version that is smooth to operate.

It's hard to choose one over the other.

Here is a favorite shot with the metal Rollei Planar: https://www.flickr.com/photos/60398074@N03/35957827326/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollei HFT Planar 50mm F1.4 will hit the mirror before infinity! even if you remove the retainer ring still gonna hit the mirror! C/Y 50/1.7 ML is phenomenon imho.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was asking re: E mount lenses.

Of those I only have the Rollei HFT 50mm 1.8.

Note regarding the long minimum focus on the 50mm 1.7 that there are now helical adapters for many types of mounts including EF. So for about 40 dollars for the E-mount helical to EF and $8 for the C/Y to EF you can have an adapter for that lens which will bring the minimum way closer. I no longer have an EF camera but have kept all of my adapters because there are so many adaptations available that otherwise would not be or would be very expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your opinions! One more question: which adapter manufacturer is reliable / produces good quality? I had some random Chinese adapters for my Nex-5, and those were crap...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Thanks for your opinions! One more question: which adapter manufacturer is reliable / produces good quality? I had some random Chinese adapters for my Nex-5, and those were crap...

K&F Concept

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novoflex, kind of expensive but worth it.
I had a lot of trouble with cheap E-mount adapters but my Novoflex always work fine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
He was asking re: E mount lenses.

Of those I only have the Rollei HFT 50mm 1.8.

Note regarding the long minimum focus on the 50mm 1.7 that there are now helical adapters for many types of mounts including EF. So for about 40 dollars for the E-mount helical to EF and $8 for the C/Y to EF you can have an adapter for that lens which will bring the minimum way closer. I no longer have an EF camera but have kept all of my adapters because there are so many adaptations available that otherwise would not be or would be very expensive.

i thought he is gonna use that on his both body.