Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adjusting infinity focus on Super Takumar 200/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Adjusting infinity focus on Super Takumar 200/4 Reply with quote

Upon upgrading my camera to something with more resolution and more accurate live view, it is now clear that my Super Takumar 200/4 doesn't reach infinity focus, which is unfortunate, as this is one of my favorite focal lengths to use overall. It seems to stop just short of reaching adequate focus as at around f/11 infinity becomes reasonably sharp.

I've considered getting a thinner M42/EOS adapter (does anybody have any specific recommendations?), which may provide the safest solution, but I'm wary of ordering anything and finding out that I end up with the same problem. In addition, the remainder of my M42 lenses, of which I have several, all reach infinity focus without issue.

If adjusting the focus on the Takumar is a relatively painless process, I will probably go this route, if not, then I'm open to any recommendations for thin M42/EOS adapters with reasonably quick shipping to destinations in Europe.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Super Takumar 200/4. Infinity on mine is just fine so I haven't had to adjust it, so take what I say below with a grain of salt.

I believe that by loosening the screws on the focus grip you can turn it a bit without engaging the helical.
Then you can move the grip a bit and retighten the screws, which should give a little more focus travel and get you to infinity.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting infinity focus on Super Takumar 200/4 Reply with quote

dave_t wrote:
Upon upgrading my camera to something with more resolution and more accurate live view, it is now clear that my Super Takumar 200/4 doesn't reach infinity focus, which is unfortunate, as this is one of my favorite focal lengths to use overall. It seems to stop just short of reaching adequate focus as at around f/11 infinity becomes reasonably sharp.

I've considered getting a thinner M42/EOS adapter (does anybody have any specific recommendations?), which may provide the safest solution, but I'm wary of ordering anything and finding out that I end up with the same problem. In addition, the remainder of my M42 lenses, of which I have several, all reach infinity focus without issue.

If adjusting the focus on the Takumar is a relatively painless process, I will probably go this route, if not, then I'm open to any recommendations for thin M42/EOS adapters with reasonably quick shipping to destinations in Europe.

Thanks!

Ask Orio in pm if he not answer here, I think he know well all EOS M42 issue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem with an auto takumar 35/2.3 on a sony alpha.
Sanding down an adapter was the solution i adopted so far: it took a lot of time, a lot of tries, and the sacrifice of a couple of adapters.
Maybe one day I'll try to work directly on the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the longer focal length Takumars, but on the shorter ones (28, 35, 50) it is very simple to adjust the infinity setting. You need to unscrew the engraved ring in the filter thread round the front lens using a friction tool. I use a rubber glove for friction and press and turn it using a rear lens cap or the lid of a jar.

Under the ring there are 6 or 8 screws - half of them fix the front filter mount section and the other half (spaced intermittently) clamp the focus ring to the helicoil. These are usually in a cut-out section of the filter mount and you should slacken these slightly. Set the lens at correct focus on infinity through the viewfinder, then turn the focus ring (without adjusting the lens) to the infinity stop. Then tighten the screws and replace the engraved ring.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the info.
I will try it as soon as I get home.