Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

About Helios 44
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: About Helios 44 Reply with quote

Probably discussed before, but what is the best version of Helios 44 in terms of IQ?!?

Has anybody did comparisons? Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy variation renders such discussions moot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later the version, the "better" the results if you are looking for contrast and sharpness.
But I have sold all my copies apart from the oldest one, 44-2, which I liked more than all the newer ones. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 44-2, 44-m a 44-m-6 and a 44-m-7 (that I sold)
I tend to prefer the oldest (44-2) because of build quality, preset aperture and a/m switch. I also like better its color rendering, but I never noticed evident differences in sharpness.
But here comes copy variation, so, who knows?
Always heard that the later ones are sharper, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Carsten on this one. The old 44-2 has a more pleasing rendering for me. I have a 44-7 MC and 44-k-4 non MC which are sharper but that's not what i'm after from a Helios. the 44-7 is sharper than my 44-k-4 and much better coatings but again I prefer the K-4. So for me thee old cheap 44-2 is what I like. You may need to purchase two or three to find a keeper but I've hung on to my first so far.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question is asked very often.
And there's always no real answer.
I also prefer 44-2 preset over 44-M7 and 44M (M7 had slghtly better contrast and flare control though). 44-3 has some very good/maybe best recommendations but it's usually more expensive and there's are the same risk of getting "a lemon".

Optical quality spreading is often bigger than the differences between the versions.
You should simply try to get a cheap one in very good condition.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They tend to get sharper and more contrasty and less aperture blades with each later model. My favourite is the 44-2, but sadly it clonkes the 5Dii's mirror so I use a 44 or a 44M depending on what I'm doing.

I've not seen much of the QC issues reported with my collection of FSU glass and suspect it is blown out of proportion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference reflects the consensus expressed here. Mine are 44, 44-2, 44-3, and 44M-7. I have already traded my 44M-7. I will be parting with all but the 44-2. While I like the 44, it needs servicing that I do not know how to do, so it will be going. The 44-2 I find to be the most comfortable to use, having what I perceive is a better, more solid build quality than the 44-3 and 44M-7. I cannot see an appreciable difference in IQ, so I'm just going with the one I like best. I don't need to have more than one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a note, AFAICT, there is no difference between the 44 and 44-2 in M42 mount - the 44 was made earlier and then they changed its name to 44-2 to avoid confusion with the initial M39 version (Zenit, not LTM). So the 44 are perhaps more collectable, but from any other pov they are identical to the 44-2.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
As a note, AFAICT, there is no difference between the 44 and 44-2 in M42 mount - the 44 was made earlier and then they changed its name to 44-2 to avoid confusion with the initial M39 version (Zenit, not LTM). So the 44 are perhaps more collectable, but from any other pov they are identical to the 44-2.

The early m39 version has 13 aperture blades and more attractive chrome body to some people.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 44 is m42 and not 13 blade, but is the chrome - or is it alloy - body.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

44: Stick to the version with the red P (Pi)I have a 13 blade sn"00" that has nasty flare.
44-2: KMZ version seems to be the sharpest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a legend that shows the symbols and their respective factory names?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Is there a legend that shows the symbols and their respective factory names?

Is this what you mean
http://www.zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-logos.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is very good.....44m 7 blade with KM3 symbol.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx guys, I bought a 44-2 today
(have a 44m-4 from before) Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how it begins... From a first to a second Helios and before you realize it, you are buying all the different numbers, then you go for all the different versions of those different numbers, etc...

Have fun Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Thx guys, I bought a 44-2 today
(have a 44m-4 from before) Wink

As Ian said above, quality depends on each single copy.

I keep one Helios-44 (to me the sharpest in my current gear), four Helios 44-2 (for different reasons, some are good but highly worn). I had a 44M-4 and it was the sharpest Helios 44 I have ever had, I commited the mistake of selling it and now I regret it!.
In the meantime many have been passing thru, so being a cheap lens and a good performer, it should not be a problem to keep several Wink . Until you feel the need of having a Biotar, the original from where the Helios was copied. Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'v tested all sorts of helios 44, havent had the change to test out an early Helios 44, but i've tested some known helios 44 and 44m side by side.

the 44-2 are sharper then most 44m. (only when looking at 100% crops from 18mp.)
the non MC 44m's looks less sharp and less contrasty.

when tested the MC 44-3 vs the MC 44m-7 sharpness is the best in both those lenses vs all others, 44m-7 is very slightly sharper but ONLY in the corners.
and the MC 44-3 beats the MC 44m-7 in contrast in a noticeable way.
44m-3 also produces better colors in controlled lighting and also produces the better contrast in difficult lights when outside.

( the MC Helios 44-3 i tested is mint never used outside the box with the ET camera. and the Helios 44-2 was mint outside the box aof the ET camera as well. i have a used 44-2 helios and is less sharp then the mint one.. so... this is how it went with my tests. and the mc 44m-7 i tested is a used copy but nonetheless performs excellent. i tested those against 44m-6, mc 44m-4, mc 44m-6.)