Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A7r3 with Minolta 35-70mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: A7r3 with Minolta 35-70mm Reply with quote

A7r3 Minolta 35-70mm at 70mm 1/200 at f11 ISO 1000, hand held, 18 May 2022. The back lighting (from the south) was not ideal.

I just posted these images in another forum and I don't think this combination has been posted here.

The stereo is crosseye.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great 3d!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Great 3d!

Thanks. It's a shame that so few of us shoot them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta really nailed that zooms optical characteristics. Is this the MD mount or the AF version? Doesn't matter much for IQ I don't think. The MD commands a higher market price because the AF is ridiculously cheap. I think I paid 25 dollars for one of the 2 copies I own. Best value in midrange zoom optics you are ever likely to find.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Minolta really nailed that zooms optical characteristics. Is this the MD mount or the AF version? Doesn't matter much for IQ I don't think. The MD commands a higher market price because the AF is ridiculously cheap. I think I paid 25 dollars for one of the 2 copies I own. Best value in midrange zoom optics you are ever likely to find.

MD. I don't pay for AF legacy lenses as I have no use for it and it probably would not work on adapters..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Maxxum/Dynax-era Minolta AF lenses all have manual focus ability and use an aperture lever for stop-down, so you can get manual adapters that will open and close the aperture. If you shoot Sony E, there are several different adapters available that support varying levels of auto focus and aperture operation. The adapters with the built-in motor for screw drive AF focus are admittedly rather large.

They all pretty much meet or exceed the optical performance of their MF predecessors, and in some cases use identical optical designs, so they are worth exploring, especially since Sony's abandonment of the A mount completely obliterated their prices on the used market. Prior to the introduction of the A7, the "Beercan" 70-210 was a $200+ dollar lens. Now it sells for about 30 bucks. The 28-135mm "Secret Handshake" lens, which went for $400 when Sony was still selling SLTs, now typically sells for $50. Neither is any less excellent than it was back then.

This 35-70? The Maxxum version routinely sells for $15.

e6filmuser wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

MD. I don't pay for AF legacy lenses as I have no use for it and it probably would not work on adapters..