Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A trip to the woods
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: A trip to the woods Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

I figure I should introduce myself, my name is Richard and I'm from Sweden. I have read far too many threads on this forum than I would like to confess, it feels like I already know everyone so you'll have to excuse me if I sound a bit forward at times. Anyways, I figured it was about time I contributed with something aswell.

Right before I headed off to my cabin in the woods, I picked up a Leica Apo-telyt 180/3.4 and a MR-telyt 500/8 rather cheaply (Well, relatively speaking). And off I went!, now my cabin is rather remote, there is no other living being for miles in all directions and plenty of wildlife. The only real problem was when I got there, it rained. Then it rained some more. Then it rained for 4 days out of 5, with the last one being only very cloudy. I saw 3 elks, 2 birds of prey, 4 cranes and I almost stepped on a beaver (Had my wide-angle on, would have been a cool shot if I had not been busy screaming like a little girl, then it dived into the water) And I caught (Almost) none of them on film.

Anyways, I had a great relaxing time even if photography got to take a backseat on this trip. It's not my most inspired work, but it's a start.

Now this one has a story. I was just packing up the car to go home, when I heard a large crane screeching from the lake, naturally I ran for my camera. So there I was, running thru chest high vegetation wet from 5 days of raining in my "street clothes" and normal sneakers. It turned out the birds where hiding further away than I thought, and when I finally managed to get within viewing distance, they flew off.. So there I was, completely wet, with one mosquito biting my ear, one on my neck and one in my other eye. Balancing on a large wet rock handholding a 500mm F8 mirror lens that lets in light closer to F11, in horrible lighting trying to "cowboy" shoot a flying bird as it quite frankly startled me when it flew off. It's a good thing I had been practicing shooting crummy pictures of swallows the day before, otherwise this crummy picture would not have happened. I came back to my fiance completely drenched with a huge smile on my face. All I could think to myself was the joke "In my days we had to zoom with our feet!.. Barefoot!.. Uphill!.. In the snow!". It's a crummy photo that was alot of fun to shoot, and if you look closely, you can infact see there is a big birdie in it!

Thanks for letting me be a part of the community! (Hopefully)
Please criticize my work if you like, but this batch I know is bad, it was the only pictures I managed to "save".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Richard! These are some really cool shots. They are all great but I like #2, 4, 5, 7, & 11 much more. Of course the crane with the story is very interesting too!

BTW, just curious, which camera did you use?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I guess I should have posted that too, I use a canon 550D with a scratched view screen (Replacement story gone wrong).
#1, 4 and 11 were shot with the MR-Telyt 500/8
#3, 10 and 12 were shot with the 60/2.8 Macro-Elmarit
#2 with Leica 35/2 summicron
#5 with the Apo-telyt 180/3.4
And the rest with the 19/2.8 Elmarit V.1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, and what a good start.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome, nice series in a beautiful landscape !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good series!

Ny favourites are #2 and 3.