Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A trip home
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: A trip home Reply with quote

I went to visit my father last week. He still lives in the village where I was born. The village is situated on the west bank of the River Trent which is one of the longest rivers in the UK. A canal joins the river and runs west. This is where I took some pictures.

The canal near the junction with the river - looking west Tokina 3.5/17 f/11

The Spider T is a sailing barge which was built in 1926. It is now fitted with a diesel engine. It recently made a trip to the east coast of Scotland via the River Trent, the River Humber and the North Sea.

Spider T MIR 24N 2/35 f/8 or f/11

The River Trent is tidal and carries a lot of suspended soil. Constant exchange between the canal and river water, together with run-off from adjacent agricultural land results in a build-up of silt in the canal.

Dredger Tokina 3.5/17 f/11

The canal carries a rich stock of fish.

Fishing Tokina 3.5/17 f/11 (note blown clouds!)

In addition to agriculture and the waterways, the village is dominated by a power station. The current one is relatively recent and is gas powered. It replaced a coal fired station which was built near the river because of the availability of cooling water.

Power Station Tokina 3.5/17 f/11

I hope that you'll forgive the "chocolate box" nature of these pictures. I'm still learning. These are first attempts at editing RAW captures. Also - you may find some dust spots !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones, John, #2 is my fave, and I like chocolate! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #4 even with the blown clouds. Lovely English countryside. Alas for the canals - I do hope they are all being kept open.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the #2, #4 and #5.
My preferred landscapes are those with water being a reflecting mirror.
Excellent shots!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice landscape! my favorite is #4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nice landscape! my favorite is #4

Me too Smile

Tokina 17/f3.5 looks not bad.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 4 is my favorite
These photos brings back memories from a canal boat trip in England 12 years ago. The fishermen were around at that time as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots. My fav is the last one. This is an extraordinary pic!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with patrick on the one with the blown clouds. VERY nice shot, and the inclusion of the people fishing gives a nice sense of time and place.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everone for your generous comments.

This canal is certainly well managed. Forty years ago it was a working canal with barges carrying bulk items such as coal and flour. These days it is largely used by tourists and is quite busy during the summer months.

@Sandie I'm very pleased with the Tokina. I don't know how good it is relative to the Tamron, for example, but it has a nice feel and handles very well. I had always thought of wides as being for landscapes but I'm now starting to use it for flower close-ups for example. Incidentally I think that I was lucky. The lens sat on ebay for a week without any bids until the last minute. Someone must have put in a bid at the starting bid level. I put in a much higher bid and got it for only 1 GBP more than the start.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics John, thanks for letting us see them. And especially for the background info which I think always adds a lot of interest. My favs are 4 & 5 too. The exposures are perfect. Any chance of seeing a picture of the lens?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. Here are some quick "snaps". I've only got one camera - so the lens is alone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sichko, Thank you for the photo of Tokina RMC 17/3.5.
Now I figure out I should try Tamron SP 51B or 151B. Because, most Tokina is with Ai mount, though I do have Ai to EOS mount. But I am not sure whether it could fit Canon 5D.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.