Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A. Schacht Travegar R 100mm/3.3 - Opinions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: A. Schacht Travegar R 100mm/3.3 - Opinions? Reply with quote

I am looking at a Schacht 100mm/3.3 Travegar R. According to the specs I have seen it has 3 lenses in 3 groups (so a Cooke triplet?) and this one has a 16 bladed aperture. Other than that I have not been able to find very much on it. Has anyone used one? Opinions?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have such a lens. you're right. lens has 3 lenses in 3 groups and 16 bladed aperture. lens is made reliably. all parts are working properly. my lens is a Praktina lens. I had to make an adapter to the nex. lens does not have an MC. the lens on the open diaphragm may seem soft. if you want to get bubbles like a trioplan, then I failed.

DSC01279 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

brothers by Mr TTT, on Flickr

wind ice snow by Mr TTT, on Flickr

DSC00601 — копия by Mr TTT, on Flickr

DSC00612 — копия by Mr TTT, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lovely lens, I've had mine for a long time and used it on APSC cameras and my A7II full frame with excellent results. Obviously it is a lens of its time, and probably uncoated. But it is sharp, and any lack of contrast is soon corrected with a bit of processing.

I copied this from somewhere - probably this forum.
"The 100mm is a triplet, I guess it's very close to the Isco Cassarit.It's rather uncommon, and like other triplets under 135mm is not very cheap these days. A true pity, cause I like very much Schacht lenses, because of the way they are built (one of the most elegant barrel engineering, with beautiful DoF scale).I also own the 6-elements f/3.5 version, that was highly valued in its time and sold by Leica dealers in LTM version. My curiosity about the last generation of Schacht lenses came from a sort of academic interest. Those optics were designed by (or released under the supervision of) one of the best optical designers ever: Dr. Bertele, the father of the Sonnar."

These are all taken with a Pentax K10 APSC and they are processed, but they do show what can be achieved from this delightful lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. The colors remind me of what I am seeing from my Schacht 135mm 3.5. I would perhaps describe the color as neutral, not overstated. I like what I am seeing Smile

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images indeed, and that's a double sword really. At first I reacted like: "This lens really renders nicely, do I want this?", but then I figured it could be much more about the skilled use of the tool. Seems like a nice little lens though, not without character as expected considering the optical design and the manufacturer as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 105mm F/3.5 Travegar, a triplet usually found with short mount used in bellows. I think they should perform more or less the same?