Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A good 500mm mirror lens dilemma?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had MTO 500mm f8 and Tamron both, they are pretty much equal. MTO 500mm f5.6 is best from all, Rubinar 500mm MC f5.6 probably one of the best , MTO 500mm f5.6 in pair with Rubinar , but a giant.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP 500 f8 for me.
I shot this one with it on a 5DMkII

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good images, thanks for sharing.

cooltouch wrote:
....So I would recommend the Samyang-made 500mm f/5.6 or 800mm f/8 only if it comes with a good return policy....

What about Samyang 500 / 6.3? I saw this version in an online local shop that has a good return policy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt better than others , just blind guess, they not get any success in my Asian friends circles , they usually love mirror lenses and I didn't see any pictures taken by Samyang mirrors by them.. So I think none of them good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
Very good images, thanks for sharing.

cooltouch wrote:
....So I would recommend the Samyang-made 500mm f/5.6 or 800mm f/8 only if it comes with a good return policy....

What about Samyang 500 / 6.3? I saw this version in an online local shop that has a good return policy.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Samyang 500/6.3. Is it an older lens? Since it's a local business, perhaps you should take your camera there and try the lens out with your camera?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one from last night with the Russian 500mm f/8....
hALF mOON aT nIGHT by wNG 555, on Flickr

Last edited by WNG555 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another moon shot to compare with Tamron SP 500mm f8 mounted on Olympus Pen E-p2 (coeff x2, so equivalent to 1000mm on full frame), iso 400, 1/160s.
Image cropped.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I doubt better than others , just blind guess, they not get any success in my Asian friends circles , they usually love mirror lenses and I didn't see any pictures taken by Samyang mirrors by them.. So I think none of them good.

Is your deductive logic. I no longer think of Samyang. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Here's one from last night with the Russian 500mm f/8.... on Flickr

I thought now I prefer MTO lens. What version, newer 650gr or older 1,2kg?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD Rokkor 500/8 or better Canon nFD 500/8 with built in hood and rotatable tripod mount.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
WNG555 wrote:
Here's one from last night with the Russian 500mm f/8.... on Flickr

I thought now I prefer MTO lens. What version, newer 650gr or older 1,2kg?

From the older heavier version.

This model here:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/3m-5a-mc-cccp-500mm-f8.html

More sample photos from it and my Tamron 55BB in my Flickr albums.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wng555/collections/72157657401648706/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more from tonight, which was bright and clear. The previous had high clouds.

hI iN tHE dESERT sKY by wNG 555, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However it is a problem with MTO and DSLR cameras, the large (85mm?) diameter of the lens body. Because of the the oncamera flash overhang it is possible to not be mount without additional rings. Then no longer infinity focus Sad. Do you have experience with MTO (1.2kg version) on Pentax DSLR cameras? Can it be mount normally without additional macro rings?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I shoot Sony mirrorless, so the diameter has never been a concern with any lens I've tried.
Thanks to the adapters, there's always clearance.

I can take measurements of the rear of the lens should you need them to determine if it will clear your DSLR. I assume you'll be adding a M42 to Pentax K adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
However it is a problem with MTO and DSLR cameras, the large (85mm?) diameter of the lens body. Because of the the oncamera flash overhang it is possible to not be mount without additional rings. Then no longer infinity focus Sad. Do you have experience with MTO (1.2kg version) on Pentax DSLR cameras? Can it be mount normally without additional macro rings?

You can probably modify your camera for better lens clearance: On old Canon DSLR I cut away a unneded part of the plaqstic housing!
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/DSLR-Blitz-absaegen.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
... I can take measurements of the rear of the lens should you need them to determine if it will clear your DSLR. I assume you'll be adding a M42 to Pentax K adapter....

Please, if it is possible. Yes, I use Pentax M42-K adapter. A lens flange adapter would be preferable, for this huge lens, if the lens focus past infinity like others mirror lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
You can probably modify your camera for better lens clearance: On old Canon DSLR I cut away a unneded part of the plaqstic housing!
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/DSLR-Blitz-absaegen.html

Thanks, but I'm not able to do surgery on my cameras Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:

Thanks, but I'm not able to do surgery on my cameras Smile

Thats no surgery, that is more like slaughtering. More easy than surgery, but does not look that good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
WNG555 wrote:
... I can take measurements of the rear of the lens should you need them to determine if it will clear your DSLR. I assume you'll be adding a M42 to Pentax K adapter....

Please, if it is possible. Yes, I use Pentax M42-K adapter. A lens flange adapter would be preferable, for this huge lens, if the lens focus past infinity like others mirror lenses.

OK, sorry for delay, had to find a digital caliper.

The lens' outer diameter is 94mm.
There is a smaller diameter of 79mm and 3mm thick, before the M42 mount assembly.
The M42 mount and 79mm/3mm portion, together measures 15mm from the 94mm body edge.
The M42 thread is 4.5mm thick.
And the flat mating surface of the mount is 11-11.5mm from the 94mm body edge.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!