Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A few quick ones with the Viv 200 f/3.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: A few quick ones with the Viv 200 f/3.0 Reply with quote

The first one from 40 feet and the other two from 4 feet distance. All hand held.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You polish your shoes well!
I love the framing of the first one,and the greens are beautiful.Looks like a very nice lens to own.Is it a very heavy lens?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
You polish your shoes well!
I love the framing of the first one,and the greens are beautiful.Looks like a very nice lens to own.Is it a very heavy lens?

Yes it is a touch heavy. 72mm front end and some thick glass there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg: You're using this on a Pentax, right? I'm very curious to hear if you experience a lot of CA. I find f/3 barely usable and not at all usable in high contrast situations due to CA and ghosting. What are your results? Also, it took me quite some time to get used to the focus - it needed to be spot-on and there wasn't a big sweet spot, so needed to be very precise. But once stopped down some and focused right, I love the results. What are your thoughts about the bokeh? I'd like your thoughts on all of this, especially the CA.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Dawg: You're using this on a Pentax, right? I'm very curious to hear if you experience a lot of CA. I find f/3 barely usable and not at all usable in high contrast situations due to CA and ghosting. What are your results? Also, it took me quite some time to get used to the focus - it needed to be spot-on and there wasn't a big sweet spot, so needed to be very precise. But once stopped down some and focused right, I love the results. What are your thoughts about the bokeh? I'd like your thoughts on all of this, especially the CA.

There is some CA. But CA in the digital world is controllable in post processing most of the time. I most of the time let the camera's focus confirmation tell me when it is in focus as my eyesight is so bad. Works pretty good most of the time for me. F/3.0 is usable but not spectacular. I still need some days with good light to try the lens out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A few quick ones with the Viv 200 f/3.0 Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
The first one from 40 feet and the other two from 4 feet distance. All hand held.

Hello, can you tell me what camera was these were taken with?
I own an f/3.5 version and on digital I found PF to be very problematic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite sweet spots on this lens is wide open at minimum focus distance in low light situations,which even with CA can deliver a painterly look.

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let Dawg answer the camera question, but I can comment on the PF. That is what I was classifying as CA. However, the standard Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 is a much different lens even though both were made by Komine. Dawg has removed the fringing with post processing, as do I. I would go so far as to say the fringing can be excessive in certain situations, but I've learned to deal with it and am willing to put up with it for the better attributes of the lens. I like the sharpness and love the bokeh. The standard f/3.5 is a good lens, but not nearly as good as the Series 1 in my experience and opinion. However, I have been using the standard version with a macro attachment and am getting very good results.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
One of my favorite sweet spots on this lens is wide open at minimum focus distance in low light situations,which even with CA can deliver a painterly look.

Boomer: Your camera definitely handles the purple monster much better than mine. I've had very few shots at max aperture that I thought were usable. I was wondering how well Dawg's Pentax was handling it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problemo....just sharing one of my favorite sweet spots with the lens...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Boomer, I tried the f/3 in low light and have to say you're right. This is the first time I haven't had the purple fringing or ghosting, I suppose because there was low contrast lighting. It was probably a little too dim though as we were having a thunderstorm and it was getting close to 7:pm. I had to shoot at 400ISO and with shutter at 1/50th handheld. I adjusted contrast in Photoshop. Virtually no fringing. Somewhat soft even where I was in focus, although the shutter speed may have contributed to that. Still, I'm just amazed I could get pseudo-usable pictures from it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Hey Boomer, I tried the f/3 in low light and have to say you're right. This is the first time I haven't had the purple fringing or ghosting, I suppose because there was low contrast lighting. It was probably a little too dim though as we were having a thunderstorm and it was getting close to 7:pm. I had to shoot at 400ISO and with shutter at 1/50th handheld. I adjusted contrast in Photoshop. Virtually no fringing. Somewhat soft even where I was in focus, although the shutter speed may have contributed to that. Still, I'm just amazed I could get pseudo-usable pictures from it.

Nice shots Boomer and woodrim. I hope to get some shots in in a few days or so. Hard to find time as they have me working 7 days and 10-12 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dawg, but mine were just snapshots to see if I could get the results that Boomer did.

Boomer: Thanks again for that tip. Now I know I can get away with fully open with this lens in the right lighting. Re-opens up the benefits of that wonderful boken. Today I used my best friend for a low light portrait, but can't remember if I was at f/3 or maybe f/4.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sad Woodrim, your best friend is a dog. At least mine is a cat. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
That's sad Woodrim, your best friend is a dog. At least mine is a cat. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

I don't do cats. Razz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a real keeper. Very fine examples of a legendary lens

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim- glad it helped to gain a relief from the purple monster...love the dog shot,I've got one of those lap dogs that follows my every movement and always gets to go for a ride in the car(his favorite)....also,liked excitement of just reviewing these new shots,reminds me of the anticipation from film.

Dawg- Thanx and hope the long hours don't continue on through the whole summer because the summer will go by in a flash....on a side note my grandfather had a sign in his shop,"The pay may not be great,but the hours are long".....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's fruit...