Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A cloudy day in Amalfi
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: A cloudy day in Amalfi Reply with quote

I decided to spend a couple of relax days on the beautiful Amalfi Coast, in southern Italy. Unluckily today the weather was a bit unstable, so I changed my plan to stay on the beach doing nothing, and wandered a little inside the lovely little town of Amalfi.

All pics shot with Nex 5r and Minolta MC W Rokkor 28 f2.5

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

6 -

7 -

8 -

9 -

10 -

I really like this lens, it has great character, lovely colours and it's sharp from wide open. I often leave it at home because I take my contax distagon 2.8/28, but the only area in which this minolta falls far behind the distagon is quality of the coatings.
The Amalfi Coast is incredibly beautiful for me, even if people tried to do everything to destroy it by building stuff around in a totally uncontrolled way in the last 50 years.
Luckily in 1997 it was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site as a cultural landscape, so now everything should be much better preserved.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great success on cloudy day, I often fail on city landscape shoots on cloudy days.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me want to go back....

Your a lucky man !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Great success on cloudy day, I often fail on city landscape shoots on cloudy days.

Thanks Attila: actually it wasn't one of those extremely dull cloudy days, it was just not good enough to stay on the beach, but as you can see in some photos sun put its head through the clouds every now and then. In such situations, the very good dynamic range of my nex (together with a touch of PP) can make miracles, if you care not too overexpose the sky too much.

Mir wrote:
Makes me want to go back....

Your a lucky man !

Actually it's quite a trip from where I live (about 900 km north from there), but luckily my girl's family lives in Naples, so I often take advantage of their kind hospitality Wink
I understand it's quite a trip from Canada, but shall you ever plan to come back, I warmly suggest to do that in semptember: the number of tourists is considerably lower, and everything is more quite and just as beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually we where there in May '08

Wonderful, just wonderful..... many great memories....

Napoli.... landed .... we didn't stay...
Maiori - Positano - Ravello - Pompeï - Sorrento
Matera
Praia a mare - Peggio Di Calabrio - Amantea - Oreca
Taormina - Etna - Giardini Naxos
isola di Salina (isole Eoli)
Cefalù - Lido di Nota - Ortygie - Agrigente - Castellamare del Golfo

It was all great but we enjoyed Sicilia alot..... and Salina was a dream....

We'll be back eventually...... probably in the northern parts....

I could go on and on...

(Ssssshhhhhtt, these where not MFLenses....)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pics, and great tour of southern Italy. There is so much to see there, and never enough time: for example I've never been to Matera, even if I'd really like to, for one reason or the other i never manage to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos! I've always wanted to go to Italy, but your photos make me want to go even more! I like the shot of the ladies taking photos inside the covered walk - great color and lighting both inside and outside. I've always liked Rokkor lenses - always sharp and even though stops. I'm going to start looking for a 28mm. Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work, congrats! Beautiful area the Amalfi Coast!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstroZon wrote:
Great photos! I've always wanted to go to Italy, but your photos make me want to go even more! I like the shot of the ladies taking photos inside the covered walk - great color and lighting both inside and outside. I've always liked Rokkor lenses - always sharp and even though stops. I'm going to start looking for a 28mm. Cheers.

You should definitely come to Italy on Holiday, the mediterranean is beautiful and - I think - completely different from what you are used to. I just spent 3 day on Giglio island for work with a nice guy from Idaho, and he was completely amazed for the whole time. That's more or less what I guess will happen to me if I see the grand canyon or the pacific ocean.
That shot in particular greatly benefitted from the clouds, and the consequent diffused light. if it had been sunny, the light difference between inside and outside would have been much bigger, and I would have had to choose.
I have had some 28mm's Rokkors (2.8, 3.5 and this one) and they were all at least good, but this one is by far my favorite of the lot. I'd love to try the 28/2 also.

kds315* wrote:
Excelent work, congrats! Beautiful area the Amalfi Coast!

Thanks Klaus!