Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A bit of advice needed on adapters and lens choices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: A bit of advice needed on adapters and lens choices Reply with quote

Hello everybody, I'm new here.

I just managed to score a Canon 5D (mark 1) and Nikon 55mm f1.2 (the older S-auto version) off the bay, after I've been toying for a while to use older manual focus lenses.

I've been browsing here for a while and whilst there is a pile of knowledge at my finger-tips, it is still a little cryptic.

First, I'll need an F-mount to EF-mount adapter. I remember from the back of my head that the locking pin part seems to be crucial, in order for the lenses not to have any play in the adapter. Can anyone recommend a seller and model? Is ordering from Fotodiox from the US (I'm in London, UK) a good idea?

I've also wanted to get some M42 lenses and will probably start with something in the range of 100 to 135mm. From the forum I gather that there are a couple of popular choices.

- CZJ Sonnar 135mm f3.5
- Meyer-Optik Oreston or Pentacon 135mm f2.8 - the Zebra version with 15 aperature blades seems to be a fine piece of equipment
- Spiratone 105mm f2.5 (it does come with a lot of other names, doesn't it?)
- Meyer-Optik Oreston oder Pentacon 100mm f2.8

I have no idea what these lenses actually weight. All comments and advice is highly appreciated.

Lastly, a matte focusing screen sounds like a good idea. I had/have a Katzeye screen for my Fuji S5, but I think they are incredibly over-priced. Again, comments and advice are highly appreciated.

This appears to be a tightly-knit and supportive community, so many thanks in advance already!
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.google.com is a great web service, which in about 1.3 seconds tells you that

CZJ Sonnar 135mm f3.5 weight is 430g

Meyer-Optik Oreston or Pentacon 135mm f2.8 weight 515g (pre-set) 470g (auto)

and so on...

Wink

Nikkor lens to Canon body adapters I know nothing about (I use Nikon bodies). Katz Eye prices are high yes, quality is often followed by higher price when it comes to cameras, optics and accessories.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Canon EE-S focusing screen with my 5D because it means:

1. Metering is perfect
2. When using fast lenses (f2.8 and faster) you can see the proper depth of field in the viewfinder

Jinfinance and big_is on ebay generally do good adapters, although my best for Nikon has been this one:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Due big registration distance difference I think any adapter just works with your 5D. Mirror clearance issue highly impact your camera you need to check this thing first on every lenses before buy it.. I am Katz-Eye split screen owner in my Olympus E-1 works great very, accurate. You should know split screen is always require adjust your camera light meter is lens is not wide open. For example on E-1 I have to set +1 on F4 +2 on F5.6 etc.

Almost any lens is good in 100-135mm range, prefer good brands above third party Japanese lenses , good brands are always good. Third party lenses mostly good , but not all of them.

I prefer following lenses in this range.

All lenses from Nikon, Olympus, Carl Zeiss, Carl Zeiss Jena, Asahi Pentax , Rollei these are all usable on your camera , but check mirror clearance issue first.

Pentacon 100mm, 135mm any variants
Meyer any variants.

T

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

@ManualFocus-G: do you like the linked adapter because it is easier to detach, or are there other problems one could run into?

Quote:
You should know split screen is always require adjust your camera light meter is lens is not wide open. For example on E-1 I have to set +1 on F4 +2 on F5.6 etc.
Thank you, that is something I had not thought off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The linked adapter is my best one for Nikon as the lens fits tightly and infinity focus is spot on, whereas other adapters let the lens focus beyond infinty which is a pain when shooting landscapes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The linked adapter is my best one for Nikon as the lens fits tightly and infinity focus is spot on, whereas other adapters let the lens focus beyond infinty which is a pain when shooting landscapes.
Thank you.

Another question, concerning stop-down metering. Say, I'm suing a Nikon AI lens. Does this mean that I will have to hit the depth of field preview button for metering?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I use the Canon EE-S focusing screen with my 5D because it means:

1. Metering is perfect

I have noticed no improvement in metering with the Ee-S compared to the Ee-A. Both have deviations from correct exposure when stopping down to f/8 or beyond.

The adapter that Graham linked to is identical to the "Pro" adapter from Fotodiox. The Fotodiox Pro works quite well, better than a cheaper adapter that I tried (which was too thin and made my lens focus beyond infinity).

@Cistron: No you don't have to use the DOF preview button. It doesn't do anything with a manual lens anyway -- it only works with EF lenses with an electronic aperture. You just meter in Av or M mode at the aperture that you want to shoot the picture at. This means the viewfinder will be dark if you use apertures smaller than f/5.6.