Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

99th birthday Folding Pocket Brownie - Adox CHS 50 ART
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: 99th birthday Folding Pocket Brownie - Adox CHS 50 ART Reply with quote

I decided July 15 is the birthday of my No. 2 Folding Pocket Brownie - 99 years old this year. So I took her on a walk across the George Washington Bridge and Washington Heights in Manhattan. In retrospect, I took too many pics on the bridge and had only one left for street shooting. Oh well. I'll post other frames as I scan them.

For such an old lady, she's in better shape than many cameras half her age. Though one has to admit she never was the sharpest knife in the drawer... Adox CHS 50 ART in CH-110, dilution B, 7 min.

Everything Stationery, Washington Heights by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still, what a looker she is ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy b-day to your folder, old gear is so much fun. You captured the spirit of the day in the picture with all the birthday balloons.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She still does a fine job. Anything that will get a person out of the house and burning film deserves more birthdays!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I'd been wanting to take the brownie out properly taped up - unfortunately the focus is optimized for portrait - group - house sort of thing. 100ft is the long focus.

George Washington Bridge by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, you have more bridge shots?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh but she doesn't burden a person with a never ending selection of aperture and shutter speeds Wink the results make me feel like I'm looking at a moment in someone's life rather than the studied result of a photographer . Personally I appreciate both ! And the old Brownie has captured so many moments in time ! In the end I think that counts for something .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, she is a thing of threes: three distances, three apertures, three shutter settings. She has been a bit shy about being photographed, herself, but I think I can post a picture...

Meanwhile, another bridge shot

George Washington Bridge from Washington Heights by Nesster, on Flickr

And here she is... she insisted this shot best captures her young appeal...

Ye Olde Brownie by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice gesture for a wonderful camera. Nice pictures by the way. The 3rd one can easily be a post card that I would buy 1 Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra bridge shot, great camera

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Indeed. I'd been wanting to take the brownie out properly taped up - unfortunately the focus is optimized for portrait - group - house sort of thing. 100ft is the long focus.

I really love this classic and dreamy picture! Exellent!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemmo wrote:
Nesster wrote:

I really love this classic and dreamy picture! Exellent!

It's timeless. Nothing obvious to date it to current times . The Brownies qualities just add to the effect Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

Wow, lovely stuff, this is certainly a reflection of the past. How can light have traveled so slowly? I was just looking at a book of Alfred Steiglitz and it seems you have have inherited his spirit! And maybe even his camera Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, thanks... the camera thanks you also Wink

Stieglitz was anti-Kodak point n shoot; he thought it reduced the overall state of photography. He used SLRs and such.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

Hi Nesster,

This yours bridge pic made me buy one Brownie for myself also.Smile
This model: No 2 Folding Pocket Brownie Model B because it plays (hopefully Laughing ) with 120-film
( http://www.geh.org/fm/brownie/htmlsrc/mE13000327_ful.html )

Because this my yesterdays purchase was really your and yours camera bridge pic fault, I think it's fair, that I send this my purchase bill to you Jussi. Ok? Laughing Wink Laughing

Hemmo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemmo, congratulations - does yours have the red bellows?

Re. paying for your purchase, I showed your post to my Brownie and she said she's kinda short this month, but surely she can find the money, say, next April 1.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, she's wearing the red bellows. She's the one Click here to see on Ebay

This now just between us Wink , but in those ebay pics this old lady seems that she needs at least some cosmetology treatment, but lets see it when she comes.
I hope that she's going to be one of those glorious old ladies who have aged nicely and have nice temper and lot of her own wisdom and humour that all those years have added Smile

Re: and tell to your dear Brownie Lady, that she don't have to worry about paying, 1st of april is just fine Laughing

Last edited by hemmo on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Serious jealousy - I'd wanted one with the red bellows. Yours looks to be the 1911 model. Looks to be in good shape, a bit of dusting etc... I found I needed electrical tape around the back seam, and of course to block the red window except when advancing the film. Electrical tape isn't overly sticky so works well in this application.

Look here on page 37 for a baby picture of your camera
http://www.kodakcollector.com/images/catalogpdf/1911%20wm%20red.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for sharing that wonderful link and for the camera information. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic, timeless images of the bridge. Shocked You make this old lady sing.