Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

90mm shootout: CZ Sonnar, Soligor, Sigma, Elmarit, Elmar-C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I never get much insight from this sort of test, I always have to use a lens for a while to get a feel for it.

Yeah, that's true. I've started this test only because I've wanted to clear for myself a couple of question of the sort "Am I nuts to use Sigma more than Contax-G Sonnar?" and "Do I need to clean Elmarit?".

Last edited by fermy on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Your portraits do not tell alot about the lenses.
Is it possible to have the portraits with some kind of background blur/high lights/different distances?
The landscapes are ok, they tell about color, contrast and sharpness.
I may miss some info, do they focus on infinity or hyper focal?

Yeah, I think it's a good criticism regarding the portraits, but it won't be easy to find a victim willing to stay approximately still outside while I fumble with lens changes. Maybe in spring Wink

Landscape is focused on the clock-tower.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 of yours. They are almost 85mm, but on nex, i tend to use the elmarC more than the sonnar. The mech for fine focus on elmarC is better than contaxG mount, even i got a good adapter.

And i dont think you need to clean yours. Just fine as is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At F8 most lens perform very well, wide open sharpness, bokeh can make differences and ... need a bit love , I never select lens based on tests, I select them on my emotional feeling. Keep that what you use happily from above list I wish to go with Contax Sonnar Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm happy with all of them. Cool So which one do you think is Contax-G? And you might regret your decision to go with Sonnar, hoanpham already explained why Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like number 2... Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I favour #2 as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
To be honest, I'm happy with all of them. Cool So which one do you think is Contax-G? And you might regret your decision to go with Sonnar, hoanpham already explained why Laughing

No other reason than pure emotional, I love some vendors , Zeiss is top simple.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
I like number 2... Laughing

But to correct myself actually I like two of them and wasn't sure which one I like more...

The other one was #5.

I guess that today at the second look I might give #5 the edge (sunny day today vs night yesterday)... It doesn't matter what brand it is Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the first vote for #5. We've also had a bunch of votes for #2 and #3 and one for #1. However there were no guesses as to which is which so far except Forenseil's observation regarding #4...